1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Well Hello There!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi! I am Loopie, new to the forum. I joined a few weeks ago and have found this place to be a great resource for learning about cichlids.

I'm a mom of 2 great kids and work part time, while the kids are in school.

I set up my first fishtank about a year ago and was instantly hooked on the hobby! Some of my favorites (my cichlid tank is my true fav) from my larger tank are my knifefish, my pacu and my firemouth.

I have a 46g bowfront in my dining room with semi aggresive fish. [youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGkEfKiX96w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGkEfKiX96w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I also have a newer tank, 20g, with a couple of peacock cichlids, a pleco and a kuhli loach or two. [youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmN4cDfTseg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmN4cDfTseg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I look forward to getting to know you all. It's nice to have such great knowledge so close at my finger tips! I went through the pics/videos of some of the members and, my goodness, some of you guys have REALLY amazing tanks!!!!

Anyhow, thanks for having me here! :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish. I'm glad you've found the forum useful.

What are your plans for the Cichlids ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Plans? Such as?

Should they be job hunting?

I don't have plans for them... :cry:

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish Forum Loopie!

:D Please make yourself feel right at home sharing and learning with the rest of us, we're definitely a friendly bunch!

:confused: If you’re having trouble finding something or need help you can contact myself (Dawn), Anthony or Jake through pm and we'll gladly help you ;)

:D Also, if/when you get a chance be sure to post some photos/videos of your setup/setups.

-> The following link will lead you directly to our photo/video section Aquarium Photos - Show off your Tank Forum

Knifefish are soo neat!

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks! Was I not supposed to put my videos in my intro then? I can delete them if I need to.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Plans as far as their tank. Those fish cannot be kept in a 20 gallon tank.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no, it's fine! I'm just letting you know for future we have a video photography section that has some awesome picts & vids.
    You have a very nice setup going there. I liked it!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh! I gotcha. I actually have a deal worked out with someone local that deals a lot with cichlids.

I just sort of "grow them" in that tank and then trade them in for new littler fish once they get too big for my tank.

I really wanted cichlids, but didn't have any room for another big tank. Plus, this one is in my bedroom because I like to watch them as I fall asleep.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. ;)

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Do you think that's fair to them?

I have thought about that before and wonder if fish will feel "displaced". :confused:

Think they are affected much by moving them out once they get bigger?

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome... yeah I was wondering about that Pacu too! A 46 is too small for it but if you are kind of just growing them....

Hope you continue to enjoy it here :D

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My pacu is pretty small still. He's only about 2 inches long. We have some time with him yet... :)

13. LemonDiscus

Awww... its just a fry :)

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Honestly from looking at that video they're already too big to be in that tank (the larger ones). Moving them to a larger tank is great, I just think it should be done sooner.

15. LemonDiscus

Stunting will occur if not moved early enough.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

See, I am so new to all of this.

I don't want to do them wrong.... :(

The peacocks are currently about 1.5 inches long and there are 2 of them in the tank.

How big is too big for that tank?

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Welcome to the forum loopie! Dont worry that's why the forum is here :)
    I have no Id about peacocks though.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You guys are super nice. Thanks!

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, but you have to be warned..we do pluck and pull out marshmellow launchers on occassion. Lol!

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nice! But you must be warned, I may fire back.... :D