1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What do u think

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by cooltow1, Jan 10, 2010.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

The FLorida Aquarium has been kind to our aquarium society over the years to let us use their facility but now a worried that our livestock will be a "potential threat of contamination to the FL AQ’s systems" and wish to end all shows there. Here is a copy of the Email. I was just wondering about your thinking on the subject seems a little anal to me since we are in the convention hall and not the aquarium area

Ok folks, as good as the FLorida Aquarium folks have been with the TBAS we are now dealing with a ‘situation’. They want all bowls of fish and plants to be covered . . . TOTALLY! We are going to talk with the ‘big wigs’ but until then here is what our PRESIDENT says . . . “Regarding the 2010 Bowl Show status: I haven’t heard whether Bob has been able to have a favorable discussion with the aquaculture experts related to the potential threat of contamination to the FL AQ’s systems, and we haven’t had a conversation with Mr. Eggert yet, so we haven’t officially made a decision about exactly how to proceed with the 2010 Bowl Show. While we continue to work for a resolution and in the interest of being able to include some information in the newsletter, web site, etc., - and to go ahead with the January show procedures as close to normal as last time - I propose that we consider an interim action that may allow us to do the bowl show in January and continue the program. Let’s pronounce that all sale items and bowl show entries will be closed containers and that we will provide tops for tanks and “bowls”. We can bring a roll of plastic wrap and ensure that the items are covered and considered safe.” Soooooooo folks, please be careful when you bring in fish for auction, bowl shows and plants. Make sure the tops are sealed and the bags are tight so we can comply with the said rule until we get this worked out one way or another.

Rick

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I don't really blame them for wanting to protect their investment.

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

I don't see it as being that bad of a request. If I am understanding correctly, they just want all open containers to be covered. Nothing a piece of glass, plexi or even as mentioned above, platic wrap can't solve. Now of course the exception to this would be for planted containers where the plants are out of the water. Not sure how to go about that unless some type of screened in area could be devised for viewing only and restrict access to show viewers. Get some cheap glass and make a box to cover the bowl. Plenty of options.

Now...why are they doing this? To avoid contaminates in their tanks. Who's say that someone (for whatever stupid reason) would take a vial of water from one of the show tanks and pour it into one of theirs. Could be transferring things like ich, algae spores, planaria, etc. Makes you wonder if something like that may have already occured. Or maybe just a review of things that could happen and how to prevent it.

Without seeing what the FAs complete response was, it may be a little hard to offer a viable comment.

In a nutshell...if FA is simply asking that all containers be covered, I can't see it as being that big of a deal.

4. cooltow1

I understand their point of view in protecting the livestock of the Florida Aquarium but wr have held 10 bowl shows a year for the past 10 year in their convention hall and In all that time there as never been a case of contamination to the systems. We do not even meet in the same building that the aquarium proper is in. For contamination to accrue it have to be a willful act. But that said they have been very good to us over the year allowing us to use the facility at a very reasonable fee for year and if they require that the tank be sealed so be it. It just seem to me to be a case of paranoia in my opinion. Our members are all breeders or advanced hobbies in the heart of Florida's tropical fish industry, who would never think of endangering the aquarium in any way.

Rick

5. HBIC

They are just trying to protect their investment the same as any of us would. The truth be said how do you know "as a fact" that no contamination has ever come to their tanks? Not saying it has or anyone in your club would.

6. cooltow1

What I can say as a fact is that there has been no "known contamination" to their tanks or equipment in the 10 year that I have been a active member of the show program. I have no objection to sealing the tank if that is what is deemed necessary for the protection on the livestock at the aquarium. I understand the protect our investment point. My wife and I work protecting the State of Florida wildlife every day. But for them to think that seal these tank or going a step farther ending the shows there will have any affect on the Diseases or internal and external parasites is miss guided IMHO

Rick

7. HBIC

Yes it is a bit misguided however they have to start somewhere.