1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what do you think the best fish food is?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

What do you guys think is the best fish food?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Best fish food?

The best food can vary depending on what type of fish you have. For African cichlids I'd have to say Dainichi is the best. It's expensive and not everyone can afford to use it as a staple food if you keep a lot of fish but it's well worth it. I even feed my Endler's the same food, crushed up into a fine powder. Both also get spirulina flakes.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Make makes you think Dainichi is best?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The quality of products they use in their food. Also, the results I've seen while using it, ie brighter colors, and more active healthy fish.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I use alot of frozen products, blood worms, misquito larva, brine shrimp,beefheart cubes. as well as flaked food, and live feeder fish, and fresh shrimp (human grade from a local market). I do use the tetra large flakes..but only because I feed such a varied diet to my tanks

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd stop using beef heart, or use it very rarely if the fish love it. From what I've learned is that it's a very poor food to feed fish. It lacks many critical nutrients that fish require.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I don't use alot of it..my knife fish lives for his treats, thanks, I will do a bit more research on it,and cut back in the mean time!

8. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I've also heard negative things about beef heart. I'm sure if you are suplimenting his diet with all that variety and only feeding beef heart once in a while it shouldn't be a big problem

9. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

beefheart mix is used by several to promote fast growth in fry.
    most discus breeders use it after the fry begin eatting on their own.
    the biggest problem with BH mix is it fouls the water fast.
    guess that is why most discus fry are keep in a bare bottom tank and get water changes of 90% a day.

i use tetra gans in teh morning frozen brine around afternoon and frozen blood worms in the evening and and do weekly water changes of about 50%

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just found out our local bait shop sells blood worms for a fraction of the price of the petstores! I rinsed them a few good times, and they were good to go!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The only problem I've heard of with bloodworms is that a lot of people are allergic to them. That alone scares me enough to not even attempt to feed them to my fish.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

They are the mainstay of the stingray, my discus, and treats for the angelfish, I would be totally lost without them..though I can NOT imagine why a human would ever want to eat them..they look like something out of a sick-o sci-fi movie that invades your body..uuugghh :eek:
    PS..thanks guys quit using beefheart ..

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I didn't mean people ate them and were allergic to them, if that's what you thought I meant. Just touching them can cause those who are allergic to break out and swell.

14. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Ew lol

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lmao...um, yeah, I feel pretty stupid, never realized they were so potent..thank gods no allergies here..i feed way too much live jusk to worry about rescations..and always use tongs, can get a tad creeped out over the small creepy crawly worm like things, when we had snakes living at home it took awhile before i could handle the pinkie mice

16. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Katal hope ya have a good source for you live foods cause around here if ya feed live food ya run the risk of getting something bad in your fish tank and come on and share some of those discus pics...

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, we have some excellent sources here for live food, there are two favorite places that I go to..I only have ONE discus now..and all my photos are too big, am an old lady here, and not to computer savvey! I will try to get my husband to upload some photos from my tanks..it's pretty awesome to watch to discus and the stingray sharing bloodworms!
    Thanks for the tip about the live food...I always rinse, rinse rinse before feedings.

18. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

not that i am the norm on discus but shouldnt keep less then 3 together in a tank....

old lady hahahahahahaha yeah right sure ya are

computer savy....i still use an etch n sketch

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am going to get a few more discus WHEN the pet shop has hads them for a couple of weeks at 69 /89bucks a pop I want to make sure they are eating and heathy before bringing them home! could get some smaller ones for 19.95 and keep them in a different tank until they grow..MY one and only is doing really well..hangs with an agressive angel and the stingray..they fight over the bloodworms..HEY btw, does antone have a perfect way to keep large amounts of bloodworms healthy and laive, or do I need to go daily to the friggin pet shop to re-up?????/// Everytime I go I wind up getting something/someone we don't need!! lol. Can we start a posting on keeping LIVE food alive........thanks

20. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I feed eel worms, Microworms, bbs. Frozen Hakari Daphnia, and Frozen Hakari Bloodworms. I also use Atison's food, Ken'sfoods. He has a lot of different foods for different fish and very reasonable price. It is Ken'sfish.com