1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what Endler do you get when????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by fishpeeps, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fishpeeps

fishpeeps Thread Starter New Member

So at my LFS I saw in the same tank some Blonde Endlers and what they called Tiger Barb Endlers.(may have been Snakeskin) I bought a Blonde male and 2 female.

My question is this. Are the female generic in passing on their traits. I guess does all the coloring come from the Male, and or Males? I would think one female could have a batch of fry consisting of fry from several males? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So my two female had Fry, one had 4, the other 15. 8 weeks ago

Now the males are getting their color I have what looks like Snakeskin Endlers and the Original type first shown by John Endler. Thus far I have about 10 male and none seem to be looking like they will have the Blonde coloring.

Is it typical to get several color variations out of one female?

I'll post pictures of them
    Fry 1 is 8 weeks old
    afarm4.static.flickr.com_3477_3793366660_1f9378fd48.jpg
    fry 2 is 8 weeks old
    afarm4.static.flickr.com_3585_3793366574_e947697fb3.jpg

The Blonde Endler I Bought with the mother of the fry above
    afarm3.static.flickr.com_2617_3792605859_4f41b83030.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You purchased Hybrids.

With pure Endler's the females are pretty genetically neutral so all the traits are passed from the male. The reason you're getting different color variations is because they're not pure Endler's.

3. fishpeeps

Anthony what are the differences between the two I have pictured that look similar to the one in your avatar?

I thought what specified an Endler was the spike tail vs the fanned tail.

I can see where the snakeskin one I pictured looks like a hybrid because it's tail is more fan than spike.

would you say the Blonde one is a Hybrid?

And can I ask again, can a female carry the sperm of many different males and produce different color variations?

Do you have posted on this site some pictures of pure Endlers?

I'd like to know more about them,

Thanks!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Endler in my avatar is a Center Peacock.

No, the tail doesn't determine an Endler or not.

Yes they can carry sperm from multiple males.

If you look at all your pictures, the body shape on the males are similar. Guppy males tend to have a bigger belly whereas male Endler's are more streamlined.

Some pictures of my Endler's can be found here: My Endler Fish Pictures

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Nice hybrids. It looks like the female has some color too?

6. fishpeeps

YellowCichlid- These are young, just barely 8 weeks, so they are actually all male. I have about 6 with a lot of color and 4 or so that are just barely getting color, black spots and color in the spike showing up, then the line across the black. A little more every day. It's fun to watch the change.

From what I can tell with mine, the older they are getting the more streamlined they are getting with the exception of the snakeskine. They do have more of a belly like the females. The orange and black and the Blonde are quit streamlined.

7. B Haley

B Haley New Member

I have a bunch of these in the guppy tank also, the males will be smaller than the regular guppy males and some will actually do the "dance" to entice a female instead of the endless chase.

8. susankat

susankat Member

Bonde endlers are hybrids anyway that you look at it. They were crossed with guppies till the color was set then linebred down the line. What you have shown as a blonde endler isn't blonde.

These are blonde endlers here

ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f283_susankat55_102609_DSC07322.jpg

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

here's a fairly descent picture of one of my male endlers..of which all have moved to my 90g and can possibly be seen here and there throughout the topic.
    11-4-09%20Moss%20coconut,%20driftwood,%20and%20Endler.JPG