1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What I'm thinking of doing to the 40 gallon tank...

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MasterBlue, Apr 13, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

So, I'm thinking I might want to scoop out all the fish and shrimp, and snails, and try to save as many scuds as I can, and drain the tank, remove most of the gravel, add some either black or natural sand, and just redo the entire set-up. The gravel's nice and all, bit I like sand a whole lot more.
    Be sides, I can take stock and a few half decent photos of fish while I do it. Make some needed culls and basically get the tank looking right. I might venture to buy some better lighting and some better plants. Basically it look too bare over all. The Java Moss is slowly takeing hold of it's log and the plants are comeing to life, but it still isn't enough... I need a small foreground plant and all i really have a mid-ground plants.

That said, only one problem, I can't remove the tank from my room. I have to do all this standing on something. And even then, I'll have trouble reaching... Darn being short.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you go through all that you'll need to re-cycle the tank...I'd be keeping the media in the tank water so you can reuse it to speed the process up...when I did close to the same a while back I reused the water>media>and some of the substrate hidden on the very bottom to speed things along.

3. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

=P I know!
    I'm new to this, but not that new, lol!

Anyone got any recomendations on plants or new things to add. I'm gunna need something to dig in the sand better than the MTS do.