1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what is the quickest way to cycle my 5g?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by jrow8162, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Quickest way to cycle a small tank?

I have a 5 gallon tank that I am trying to cycle. The guy at the pet store says to rinse the gravel out real well, change the carbon, and give it a few days. Is this a good suggestion?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Quickest way to cycle a small tank?

BioSpira.

3. jrow8162

Cool, I will give that a try. I would like to move the Molly and the Swordtail into that tank. Will they work well in a 5 gallon? I've kept South American Cichlids for years and never had these problems before!!!! These community fish are becoming a real pain!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nope, they'll need a larger tank. They'll be okay for a very short time but they cannot live in that tank.

5. jrow8162

I've been thinking about picking up a 20 long. Maybe i'll go ahead and get one of those and move them there. I'd like to start breeding the swordtails.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

If you have a tank that is up and running just transfer some of the used media over or just give the used media a good swishing in the new tank.

7. jrow8162

I got the water tested tonight and everything looks good. The owner at Fin and Feather gave me a Danio to put in there. He said not to be surprised if I see an ammonia spike before it completely cycles. The gravel was used from the beta I had in there earlier but I cleaned it up, filled the tank, and added Prime last night since the beta died in there. I also changed the carbon in the filter at the advice of the guy at Perfect pets.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Your water should always be fine right out of the tap and you will always see an ammonia spike when cycling a tank.

9. jrow8162

Went today and had it checked again. Ammonia is good now but the Nitrites are still high... He said it seems to be cycling just fine. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow. My daughter is having a fit to put more fish in it..