1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What to put...

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i am a little bit new to cichlids so im keeping it easy for myself.

over the course of the summer i am going to be working on transforming my 33gallon tank, boring and empty, into a dwarf cichlid tank. Im going to be making what i call "partial" background grotto (the whole back of the tank wont be covered in the Styrofoam background, but along edges and in corners, i see it in my mind and it looks good) and the fish i have for it are kribensis.

i have about... a little less than ten of them, three females and the rest males, an they are awaiting a nice home with lots of caves. I know its a pretty small tank, and I've been trying to look but all websites give me different answers so hes my question:

are there/what are some other dwarfs that can live happily in this 33gallon tank with lots of caves and not really any plants, and also get along with the kribs? And, a fish that is pretty hardy like the kribs, because my tanks have gone through some tough times, and the kribs have never died on me.

about the tank, there will be one big plastic plant to add some colour, but thats really it for plants. and there is a small gravel and its a dark but natural so the colours of my fish can really pop! exact dimensions are 36'' x 12'' x 18''

im not sure if im going to put the females in... afterall i started with only 2 kribs and then ended up with 50 lol. and now i have about ten left after selling them.

but thats why im making caves that climb up the walls. even tho the kribs are more of a bottem dwelling fish, in the tank they are now in they like to hide in the plants that climb the walls.

i just read somewhere tho i shouldnt mix them with other cave dwelling fish, but theres going to be quite a few caves after the renovation of the tank.. unless i decide to add the females.

thanks!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you want to put 10 kribs into this tank that would be all I would put in there, except maybe a small school of neons.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well if i put the females in i dont think i want to add any other fish because i know they will breed.

i just wanted some diversity

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I agree. You might be able to do some Apistogrammas also

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well are you asking if you do male kribs only ? If so you can do as Yellow said.

If you do male and female kribs, especially 10 of them, your tank will be greatly overstocked very quickly.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well theres like 4 females for sure and maybe 5 or 6 males.

the females have more personality tho.. but im thinking single gendered, since selling them might be hard on campus lol

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah that might be difficult. LoL

If you do only females I would plant the tank and add a few male dwarf cichlids.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

and if it was only males?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The same should work, males or females. With males you may have a bit more aggression but it should be fine.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well when the pair was in the community tank they really tore apart my live plants. and atm i have a GIANT plastic plant that takes up about have of the tank lol. that was the one i was planning on keeping

ill have to take pictures of my project as it goes, and then after moving in a couple months ill make a decision on the fish

thanks for your advice :)

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, they can do a number on plants. :)

Sounds good. ;)

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

rosek, when you do the grottos I'd love it if you could do a writeup with some photos and stick it in the diy section! If you don't mind that is [bfish]

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

for sure!

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thank You in advance!