1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What's the best food for Malawi Fish?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by DarkDemolition, Apr 2, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

What's the best food when it comes too Malawi Fishes?As well as what can live or dry food should be a nutritional meal? Let me know! Thanks.. :D

2. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Re: Best Food!

I use NLS, I can't say it's the best, but it's an excellent source of everything they need. I feed live Black worms twice a week to the adults, fry get Grindal worms daily.

Just my 2 cents

3. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

thanks for the advice and I wanted to input any shrimp or blood worm... any other kind name brand food would be great.... thanks for the advice again... :cool:

4. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I use Omega One Super Color Veggie Kelp pellets. These were recommended to me by the guys at the LFS i always go to for all my fish supplies and fish (Uncle Ned's). The first few ingredients are: Whole Kelp, Spirulina, Whole Salmon, Halibut, and Whole shrimp. It's loaded with vitamins to keep the fish healthy, as well as both Omega 3 and 6. Supposedly (according to the side of the bottle) the use of the seafood proteins means less starch. My cichlids love it, and I'm talking Malawi, Victorian, and Tanganyika cichlids. I also will use brine shrimp as a treat for them once in a while, which they go absolutely crazy for.

5. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

theres a company called best flakes that has a good chiclid flake . i live in an asian neighborhood and the markets sell what i think is a fresh krill my fish cant get enough of it but only once a day it doesnt mess up or cloud the tank like live food and you dont ruh the risks of any disease if you dont rinse them good enough

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

NLS, Hikari

7. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Another good good is Dainichi. You can get this stuff in 1lb bags cheap at Melsfish.com. Has a wide range of types that can be fine tuned to youe specific species. Once I started using this my fish really didn't like anything else except fresh romaine. I love this stuff.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think Dainichi is the best, but it's also expensive so not many people can afford to use it as a staple food.

9. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

I get it for $22 for 1.1 lb bag including shipping which is usually cheaper by weight compared to some food at the LFS. Check out Melsfish.com for good deals on it. I usually get the super veggie FX. My troph colony's love this stuff.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

NLS for me.

11. roggstudelpest

roggstudelpest New Member

I'm in Aus and I use a brand called Sera. It seems very good and it goes up in size as you fish grow. At the mo I am on the smallest pellets.

When I lived in Japan I used Hikari for a mainly African tank I had there and it was awesome. Had a Pleco that grew to 3/4 the size of the tank in a year!

I like all the Japanese branded foods tbh. As for live food I haven't fed them any as yet as the new tank is only a few weeks old and not fully stocked.

Hope that helps!
    Roggs :D