1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what's the proper depth of substrate?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

How much gravel, etc should there be in the tank?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If I remember correctly a good amount is 1". I don't go by that, I just put in as much as I like and tend to do 2.5" on average.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i usually bring it slightly higher then the plastic trim around the bottom of the tank

4. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

i usually go about 2-3 inches with cichlids because they have shovels and live to dig but you are only required 1-1 1/2 inches or 1lb per gallon

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol, I covered the bottom of my 125 with 60 lbs of crushed coral! its a good half inch I believe. I agree crazhrse I put mine to just above the plastic rim. Less for my cichlids because of their digging, and more for my planted tank so that the roots can flourish.

6. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

I normally go for a pound a gallon, more or less depending on if it's planted or not and all that fun stuff.

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Personally I usually go deeper with gravel and thin with sand. If you do not stir your sand around enough it can get pockets of toxins. I remember reading something about this when I was browsing around for sand depth before. Gravel does not really hold those toxic bubbles, sand though will. The deeper you keep the sand the more likely it will get them.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Depends on what you got going on. If you have a growout tank, you'd be best served with no gravel. My planted tanks do better with about 3 inches of substrate. I cheat by adding large rocks from good ole James River, slate and wood to add natural look and also add space to substrate.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

how deep would you go with sand?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Most say 1", But I've used it prior to the planted tank successfully for years & recommend a Minimum of 2 inches.
    A "deep" sand bed should be at least 4 inches in depth. 4 to 6 inches

11. genettico

genettico New Member

Remember: The more substrate you add the more anaerobic area you have, thus increasing the ability of your tank to convert nitrates to nitrogen. This also is believed to later on increase your chances of increasing hydrogen sulfide in your anaerobic areas. Whatever you do, try to NOT mix different substrate densities and diameters.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I can't stand "Wet Web Media". They're so bias.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

This entire post means nothing to me lol, english please english

This sand is going into my dovii tank, there willbe no live plants or other animals(maybe a catfish or algae eater if they dont kill it).

15. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

ha....what the post is saying is that the deeper the sand is, the more of a chance for the sand to develop a dead area...an unareated area of sand, where nitrates can turn into deadly nitrogen, and kill your fish.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol thank you for the clarification.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

:eek: Really? I use to read their forums when I had the saltwater tank and found some of the information useful. One of the workers at my LFS store recommended the site to me.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep. A lot of what I had read on there was personal opinions passed off as 100% fact.

19. genettico

genettico New Member

lol! yes this exactly! Except I said Hydrogen Sulfide, not Nitrogen! Nitrogen would be ok!

Usually about 2 inches is a good base! Fine oolitic sand is best ! and you can get some good sand siftting critters!

20. genettico

genettico New Member

True.... in most instances. Robert Fenner (author) though is a great base of knowledge and he (in most cases) will give honest, great advice! ;)