1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What's up from the TDOT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BROOKS, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BROOKS

BROOKS Thread Starter New Member

Hey wats up my name is Jordan from Toronto but you can call me Jay and im new to the fish game...i just got a hold of my first tank...it's a 38 Gallon and i'm ready to start fish adventure but i dont know where to start.....

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome!

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

welcome you should cycle the tank and what kind of fishes are you into community or aggresive (not gonna be long till you have tons of tanks with all types)

5. BROOKS

Ive heard about Cycling my tank and ive read about it and the thread and i understand it to a point..i dont understand how you know when the tank is ready and is there a way to put in the fish...or even the best set up do i need a filter?heater?...and yea i like both types of fishes...i want my tank to have both color and emotion..

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You will need a test kit to determine when a tank is cycled and to use on a regular basis to test your water to make sure everything is normal.

Yes, you will need a filter and you'll most likely need a heater.

7. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Welcome to the forum, and I second what stevenrox said. You may only have one now but give it time, you'll end up with with more tanks as you find more fish that you want.

8. BROOKS

okay...are there any specific brands to look for...which are the best for the filter,heater, and test kit? and also...i wwas told theat the heater is for salt water fish only and that they need a big tank and alot of work is this true?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

AquaClear is what I would recommend for HOB (Hang On Back) filters, and for canister's I'd recommend Rena or Eheim Pro II/III. For heaters I'd recommend Visi-Therm, Hydor's In-line heaters or Rena.

Heaters are not only for saltwater tanks. They are required for almost every fish.

For test kits, I always use API.

10. BROOKS

Thanks alot i have another question my tank has no cover/hood on top is it necessary to have one?

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Not always. I don't have one on my tanks.

12. LemonDiscus

It depends on the fish if you need a hood. Some fish are jumpers and others will never do it. You have to know what fish you want in there before that could be answered exactly.

I kept no cover on an Oscar tank once and woke up to find one on the floor dried up. (she lived in the open tank without jumping for almost 2 years before jumping out)

13. BROOKS

okay well i'm thinking some tropical fish colorful and lots of movement...i would assume they would be jumpers but i'm not sure...

14. ira

ira Member

Welcome

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Most tropical fish aint jumpers,, But the cover mostly contains light,, Do you have a light? Fish need aprox 12 hours a day of light :)

16. BROOKS

No i have no light yet i will be going to Big Als to inquire about lights and all the stuff needed.

17. LemonDiscus

Incorrect Guidoman, there are MANY that are.... the word most is what makes that statement inaccurate... some are not, others are.

There are TONS of tropical fish and to imply that only some are jumpers is wrong IMO. Also some species may not be known for being jumpers but yours may decide to.

Sorry, I almost disagree with the open tops... (sorry Anthony) But in his case, Endlers dont really do that....

My Corys for example will jump a tank, also had Oscars as I said that did. I have seen many others do it and heard of Plecos doing it.... there actually is quite a list that do jump (or can)

My Discus can and have jumped (have not made it out of the tank because of the hood) it depends why. Maybe another fish spooks it... maybe you spook it.... maybe it wants to see if the water on the other side of the glass is cleaner!

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well I see Oscars more as predators since I'm told they attack others quite often, And my corys never jump the're some lazy ass fish,, I thought that would be the same for most corys And because of (for example the oscars) I think some other fish are predators my list of Tropical fish will get alot smaller (though they are tropical fish) But yep your tottaly right alot of tropical fish can jump

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hi there!
    Do either a light diffuser across the top or a glass canopy.
    Would love to see some photos and feel free to ask any questions you need answers to along the way.
    Better to ask, than to make errors that can cost $

20. BROOKS

So i have i am in the process of starting my tank...i have my filter running and my heater set...what's next..??