1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Yellow is holding (Information & Care Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by curtshan, Mar 11, 2009.

1. curtshan

curtshan Thread Starter Member

As Anthony pointed out in the pics I posted the other day one of my yellows is holding, or so I think. It looks like it has a mouthful of something and has been like that for days. Do the females hold the eggs? How long before they hatch? Will she hold eggs only if they are fertile? Will the others try to eat the babies? I have so many questions, please help... I built some additional rock caves that are too small for the adults to get into. The tank is a 55 gal and has 4 adults in it. Having read some of the other posts I am now not sure of the sex. I was under the impression that males had the black lower fins and were larger. There is one like that and three slightly smaller without the black lower fins. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great evening!!! Curtis...

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Yellow is holding

Yes they hold the eggs and even the fry for a short amount of time. Normally the eggs hatch in about 16 days if I remember correctly. She will hold unfertile and fertile eggs. Yes, others will eat the fry as soon as they're released into the tank unless the find a good hiding spot.

3. curtshan

Here is a pic of the new hides I put in the tank... ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s62_curtshan_IMG_1137.jpg

4. curtshan

OOP's, didn't work the way I had hoped... Curtis...

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

be careful, some of that looks as if it's ready to avalanche!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i thinkthat its plastic

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

it will eat them babaies most people would strip then when the eggs haatched

8. curtshan

Here it is 2 months later and she is still holding whatever it is in her mouth. I probably should strip her of it but I dread the thought of having to try and catch her. .. Curtis...

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There's no way she's been holding anything constantly for 2 months. Mouth brooding cichlids can only go about 30 days without food. Are you sure she wasn't holding, released or ate the eggs, spawned and is holding again ?