1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

yet anoter driftwood question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

if wood was pressure washed and steam cleaned does it still need to be baked or boiled?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it can be used at all... Pressure washers often times contain cleaning agents to help clean siding, wood, concrete etc. Where is the wood from ?

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I don't bake or boil driftwood, even the wild collected stuff, I just throw it in. So far so good, although this isn't something I recommend.

4. Leslie

from some one online. they sale it all the time for aquariums. people use it alot

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I always boil when its been previously "cleaned" this is to get loose particles out mainly. Also it makes the wood pores expand and most the tannins come out right then and there. Baking I use with collected stuff.

6. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

thats all i do, i do this with rocks also.

no issuies here either.

7. Leslie

i dont think it will fit in a pot..

8. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

bath tub and hot scolding water ?????

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

While not neccesary per se when you buy DW that has already been cleaned and sanitized, it's always a good practice to give it a good once over when you get it home prior to putting it in the tank. You never what kinds of things can make themselves at home in there from after cleaning to your door.

A good example I can give you is a nice piece of mopani that I purchased from a LFS. No telling how long they had it but I found mold or something growing on it. A couple of good boils and scrubbing later...it sits nicely in the tank.

Always err on the side of caution.

10. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Member

i have never boiled any driftwood and i have several pieces of varying sizes in most my tanks. I used a heated pressure washer( i work in a body shop) to blast all the dirt and filth off them and used them. Ihave all natural cottonwood that i hand collected, empted all the knots and stff out and called it good