1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Zig and Zag...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by curtshan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. curtshan

curtshan Thread Starter Member

ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s62_curtshan_IMG_0993.jpg Here are my babies Zig and Zag. Hope you all like them, Curtis...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They are very pretty. How big are they? They look huge!

3. curtshan

They are approx 7'' each. Hoping they are a male and female. Thank you. Curtis...

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Are they aggressive toward each other or extremely passive. Usually a male and a female will bicker back and forth in a somewhat gentle manner. 2 males will usually beat the snot out of one another and 2 females will just ignore each other for the most part.

You should not see 2 males swimming together cleaning rocks, moving substrate and vibrating near each other. 2 females will do that though. A male and a female will do that and then spawn.

Have you seen the fin vibrations yet.... at about 7 inches they are around a year old and should be practicing at least if you do have a female.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice Albino!

6. curtshan

They are very gentle with each other and are always side by side...

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You have either 2 females or 1 male and 1 female.... lets hope for the latter! :D

Do they dig around together yet in the substrate? Also get a slate and place it in the tank slightly covered by substrate. My Oscars started moving sand to get to the bottom of the tank.

They should if you do that after a while pick up the gravel (if you keep gravel) with their mouths and move it away.... that means they are working towards breeding. If it is sand they will shovel/fan the sand away. This may go on for months before they spawn. When they spawn you need to be their to look at their breeding tubes to be sure you have a male and a female. 2 females will act like a pair but the eggs of course will never fertilize. The 2nd female has even been known not to lay eggs but to look like she is a male fertilizing them. Dont go by behavior as much as what you see when they are ready to spawn.

At 7 inches they really shouldnt spawn till about 8-10 inches which will come before you know it but still not soon enough for you I am sure.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Check their vents, sure fire way of figuring out the sex.

9. curtshan

They haven't been showing the moving rock behavior as of yet. And as far as looking at their vents they are not cooperative. As I get older my eyesight has gotten worse, so the quick glimpses they have given are to no avail...