1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

10 Gallon Endler Hybrid Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, May 22, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

It could be. I'm not sure about what temp it is, no heater. I added enough salt to kill my snails a few days ago, and friday I'll try to get me a new heater, but since I don't think I'll have the cash to even get my car strait then I'm sorry to say my fish may have to suffer... It's just the tiger's who are sick, but then again with all thats happened to them this past week, I'm surprised any lived at all!

2. MasterBlue

EDIT
    Got lucky. old 200 watt heater from the 50 gallon set-up is working. Temp set at 85, currently 72.
    AC is off and will allow to stay till 2 weeks has past. 50% water change. Added some Jungle start right and will add a little more salt to make up for the bit I lost from water change.

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Congrates on the heater find. With ^ temp you really do not need the salt.

4. MasterBlue

lol, all three tanks are as of right now 87
    It's hot in here XD

Only the Hybrid tank has a heater, so I'm a tad worried about the other two... But if after the two week mark passes I can move the heater to another tank if I need to. I hope I don't ... Noticed my tigers are scractching against the sands......

5. MasterBlue

what do you recommend to treat fin rot? T.T;

fish are now missing entire fins, as apposed to the few white spots I seen earlier.

6. nossie

nossie Member

I would buy some either antibacterial medication, or one that's solely for fin rot. Both of them should work just fine! :D

7. MasterBlue

*sigh* I got some metholin blue. I give them a dip... But with the tank as it is I fear my troubles are just getting started.

I'm collapsing the tank and cleaning out the sand. Maybe if I'm lucky this will fix the problem, water changes aren't helping for long.

Also going to dip the fish in the medication. Hope they are healthy enough to survive >.>;
    I've never had to deal with anything like this... Normally my fish to great and the pet store ones die. This time It's the other way around...

8. MasterBlue

AS I was cleaning the tank I happened to touch a wasp nest... I got stung on my face, arm and neck. I'm going to overdose myself with some allergy medication and get some sleep. Great way to start my dat off =(

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

overdosing with any type of medication is NOT going to do you any good. If you happen to be allergic and over medicate to the point of falling asleep you could face Anaphylactic shock!

I know this post comes too late, but please if anybody reads this...this is NOT what you do when you get stung.
    1) Check for stinger...remove immediately!
    2) Mix baking soda and water to create a "paste" to neutralize the sting...will help take the "burn" away too.
    3) Use a antihistamine cream over the site
    4) Take Ibuprofen for swelling...which will subsuqently help relieve the pain also.
    and if have any reaction such as moderate swelling, numbness, etc..then go to your nearest hospital..you just may be allergic to flying insects (and in the future may need to carry something called a epi-pen should something similiar occur again in the future).

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Agree wholeheartedly and I was a nurse for 25 years.

PS MasterBlue let us know you're okay as soon as you read this. I'm worried.

11. MasterBlue

^^ fine, aside from a little swelling and some itching.
    I'm just lucky the 4th one didn't sting me. She just landed on my eye >.>;

As for the tanks, I think it's the log causing the cloudiness. I removed it to clean the tank, and as so placed it into the Tiger tank to keep the moss wet. The tiger tank is now just as cloudy as the hybrid tank was. So Cleaning the tiger tank and retiring the log tomorrow... Odd, eh?

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

You can spread bad bacteria (fin rot) on items from one tank to another. IMO you need to take down the whole tank and clean everything and start over. I would not put anything from that tank in another one until it has been cleaned and sterilized (boiling water)

13. MasterBlue

lol, there isn't anything else to the tank XD
    But now I gotta take this one down again...
    Tossing this log into the sun to dry... Or I will in a few hours anyway.

Back to bed I go *yawn* I slept so long I'm tired.

14. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

hey I understand. Get a good rest my friend.

15. MasterBlue

So, with the tank reading all clear and haveing the tank at 85-87 degrees, I've not lost any more fish. But I'm still seeing the effects of the illness. Finds missing and all torn up, scratching against the sand, white spots close to fins...

I've not added any extra salt since I tore this one down, I seem to have misplaced it in the shuffle... But any who, any ideas when I can start to see the fish's health start to return? About two weeks or so?

Everyone, effected or not, is eating well. My Tiger Endler is so ill she just lays on the bottom till either food or the male come by. She attacks him to keep him away. Kinnda funny to watch.
    I'm worried she may not make it. But I'll remain hopeful.

Any further measures I can take to assist in the recovery of my tank? Guppies were unaffected, but Endler's were. May have been something the guppies are immune to but spread to the Endler's mayhaps? I know it could just be my poor care in this tank (with all the drama between the other tank and my car... >>;), I would like to figure out all what may have caused it. I'm sure it was my care, or lack there of in this case.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

85-87, are you trying to cook them?

ugh, ich! what a pain in the butt to rid...now I understand the high temp.

Eating is a really good sign.

Anthony does the high temp ich solution, I'm sure he'll have some input.

To figure out the cause you need freshwater test kits (beforehand) and I'm betting it was due to instability, lots of mini-cycles, fluctuating temperatures, etc.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As long at the tank temp is 86+ AT THE BOTTOM you should begin to see an improvement within a few days. You'll want to vacuum the substrate really well about every two days to remove ich that has fallen off.

If fish were in the same tank as others that were showing signs of ich chances are the others have it as well, in their gills. I normally keep my Endler tank at 86 degrees but any other tank, if I put in a few fish, it gets bumped up to 86+ because chances are the fish had been introduced to ich at some point before I got it.

18. MasterBlue

Update:
    Female Tiger who is affected the most is now covered in a cotton looking thing. I can see red spots on her now. She is still swimming, and still eating. She stays at the top of tank....
    Other fish are now starting to have missing fins. according to tests everything in the tank is in the "safe range"
    I might just cull everything and start over...

Temp is 87.
    Thermometer is at the bottom of the tank.

is treating fin rot the same as Ich?
    heat only seems to have made this worse.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You REALLY need a liquid test kit so you know exactly what the water parameters are. Red spots or streaks can be a sign of ammonia poisoning. Keep the temp where it is and add some Pimafix and Melafix to help heal the fins and the fungus.

Culling fish that can be cured is stupid, don't do that.

20. MasterBlue

She is dead.
    Just went to tend to my buddy's dogs and just walked in.

Can't afford to eat right now, so I can't afford to get any tests. Why I'm dealing with the little trash one I do have.
    Red spots look like holes. Her internal organs were hanging after I pulled her out... Any suggestions?