1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

10 gallon guppy tank transfer

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

10 gallon guppy tank transfer

I currently have a 10 gallon set up with guppies and ghost shrimp. I started out with 8 guppies and now have 6; 2 died in the last 2 months and I can't figure out why. They were healthy and all seemed great. But anyway. I'm about to put my 20 gallon with guppies and mollies and probably a siamese algea eater or a cory cat. Here's my question, is it better to take the guppies from my 10 gallon and add a few more after transfering them to my 20 gallon or is it better to keep the ones in the 10 gallon and just put all new ones in the 20 gallon with the mollies(which I haven't got yet either)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hi there!
    Doesn't really matter...it's what you prefer!
    You can always use the 10 for a quarantine tank/planted.
    If only 2 died and they appeared healthy I wouldn't be all that concerned unless your testings are off somewhere along the line or your heater was malfunctioning.
    I've experienced a loss once in a blue moon with pregnant ones (too many babies).
    Are you keeping up with partials and adding a dechlorinator when your adding fresh water?
    Also, adding a bit of freshwater aquarium salt as per directed may prove beneficial considering your stocking with guppies and mollies. I do have to warn that the mollies may go after your guppies since they are larger in size and quicker swimmers. Just had to put that out there, you may have luck...but I'd tread slowly.
    Good Luck!

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The 10 gallon only has male guppies. I wont keep males and females together because of just the breeding factor. Plus males are prettier(fancy guppies). I was told that mollies and guppies should get along okay. I was thinking of putting dalmation mollies in with male fancy guppies. Originally I wanted to stock my 55 gallon with guppies and mollies or clown loaches but now i'm back to the south african cichlid idea.

As for water changes. I live in florida and it's very hott and humid here, but I honestly don't add or change their water too often. I think the tank has been set up for about 4 or 5 months now and i've only added about 3 or 4 cups of water and i didn't do anything to the water. We have pure tap from a well.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

*closes her ears and pretends she didn't hear the no water changes*
    I agree with not mixing the males and females due to the overpopulation factor..unless you have a local lfs willing to take them off your hands or something.

Males are always the fancier of the two, actually that holds true in most species.

Dalmation mollies are really neat, myself I'd go for balloon mollies since they are slower and less active (pretty much the same as the guppies)....plus I really like that they come in colors that you just don't see in the typical mollies.

IF your going with South africans in a 55...might I suggest TONS and TONS of hiding places (rockwork) to avoid it becoming a slaughterhouse, that and overstocking to keep aggression down.

I did a 55 in the past with africans and THOUGHT that I had ample hiding, well several months down the road and I was dealing with severe aggression in the tank with the same fish that had been kept together since about 2" or less. Overall I ended up trading them into my local Lfs and going back to my community tanks (which I've always loved).

Florida? Near Disney world? Can you get me discounts? Hehe! Yep, you defin. have the heat and humidity there my friend.

Their are those who say if it isn't broke don't fix it, but I partially lean towards the at least maintain it side...which seems to be where your falling. IF you only lost two and everyone else is looking good I'd tend to not panic and just test my water to see if something there is amiss.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

About 1/2 way between disney world and tampa, yeah. But no, can't get discounts. I don't have a pass. Too expensive. Haven't been there since I was 11ish...so about..8 years ago. (=

I just like the look of dalmation mollies, the rest of the mollies I've seen are ugly to me. And as for having a local fish store, they wont take cichlids or anything that people tend not to buy too much of. )= As for hiding places, I've heard that logs are great especially with cichlids, here's the problem, at petsmart(cheapest around me) they want $20-$30 PER log! That's ridiculous and outragous.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Go Ebay or Aquabid for hiding...also can do texas holy rock! That would be more ideal imo.
    That or try a post on craiflist under the pets area saying exactly what your looking for.
    Dalmation mollies are avail in the balloon ones (sorry, I like the pufffy lil buggers).
    ~Good luck!