1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

10" Severum

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Here is the monster Sev I just picked up with the new 125, he's about 10" with a huge nuchal hump! Unfortunetly, I believe he has HITH, you can see it in a few of the pics, let me know what you think. The hole is above his left eye (left eye in the picture, his right). Also, any methods of treatment would be appreciated, I think its from the POOR water quality he and all the other fish have been in their entire lives.
    severum1.jpg severum2.jpg severum3.jpg severum4.jpg severum5.jpg Severum6.jpg

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Looks like HITH to me. I would start treating with DAILY wc's and metronidazole or aquzole.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

jesus, how much are we talking about changing daily? The tank is a 125.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

If you wanna save it's life 50% at least. I just had this problem with a FH in a 55 and changed 75% DAILY for two weeks or so until I eventually realized it was futile and euthanized him.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

....not what I wanted to hear.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with petluvr. No not what you wanted to hear. And for a 125 the metro is EXPENSIVE!!!

Also with a hole that size it probably will never heal. All the treatment will do is keep it from getting worse. With that overstocked tank, it is a wonder more of them dont have HITH! You are lucky there, well more appropriately, the previous owner was.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am glad someone else said the tank is WAY overstocked first. The Pacu alone overstocks it IMO.

9. LemonDiscus

Yes but we all should know by now that Nelson knows this too! He is the one that thinks 1 Oscar = 150 gallon aquarium. He would rather the fish have too much space than not enough. Also why he is getting rid of the Pacu.

No worries, Nelson knows what he is doing. The fish have a great care-giver now!

10. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

Cool Sev! he's a big guy. good luck with treating his HITH I hope it works out. those big water changes are tough, I just got a 125 and dechlorinating the water alone adds up to be expensive. I'm thinking i might have to look into storing water in tubs for a few days to use for water changes

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for the kind words! Puts a smile on a mans face hahahaha!

And yes the tank is over stocked two times over, the pacu and then the two oscars are both two big for this tank. I was given the fish for free though with the tank and couldnt ask the man to put them in his 55 gallon african tank....

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If he did it wouldn't be an African tank for much longer.

13. LemonDiscus

:)

The Africans would be converted to Ammonia and Nitrite! :) Get out the Prime!