1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

10g with coraline algae

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Feb 9, 2010.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am
    coraline algae in 10g

This is just a little update on my 10 gallon saltwater tank. So, as of right now, I have some nasty red slime going on. I can only think of a couple reasons this might be...too many "nutrients" in our water, the water pump I have isn't creating enough water flow, or the fact that I haven't had the chance to replace the full spectrum t5 with an actinic blue t5 in the 2x t5 lighting I have for the tank, or a combination of all 3. I was reading somewhere that the full spectrum lighting can cause this. If it's the water it's self, I'm planning on getting an RO system for my large saltwater tank I'm doing so hopefully that will help. But on the bright side of things, I'm getting exactly what I want on the sides on my tank now, Coraline Alagae. I've included a couple pics of this. The first pic is the first spot that showed up. It started out really small and hard to see, now it's about 1/4" in diameter. Recently a few more small spots have showed up. The second pic is of one of these smaller spots. I kept away from purple up, but I did buy and have been using Seachem Reef Complete and that has obviously been helping with it's growth. I followed the directions, and have been adding about half a cap full two times a week. I will definitely be using this in my large tank as well.
    IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0057.jpg