1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

110 freshwater set up

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by aeastman, Jul 28, 2009.

1. aeastman

aeastman Thread Starter New Member

Ok...here it is...this is my first aquarium, so I'm experimenting with set up and arraignment of features....I plan on more plants, plastic for now and eventually moving to live plants as my experience grows...I'm also going to ad another power head and another Emperor 400 filter....also I don't have a background yet so excuse the cords! I will update as I go along, here are a few pics to start off with
    1156789.jpg 8156789.jpg 7156789.jpg 3156789.jpg 9156789.jpg 6156789.jpg

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looks real good...i like the ironwood...what's the peice behind the skull ? it looks neat.

3. aeastman

It's a piece of " Rainbow rock" it's some sort of shale, it's about 20" long 8" tall and about 3/4" thick...weighs 5 lbs...I'm actually considering getting a bunch of it and epoxying it together into a wall for the back of the tank, or at least getting some more pieces to set next to it...maybe pointing up instead of laying on their sides..who knows...lol

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Please excuse me, I just have to redecorate you tank on my side. (it's a sickness..Lol)
    1)Pool Filter Sand Substrate
    1)Driftwood that's in your back left corner moved to center of tank
    2)Vals or Hygros running along entire back aprox 3/4" from the back glass (you won't need a background anymore)
    3)the Rainbow slate I would stand up to make look like a mountain and place it 3/4 of the way back on the right mid section of the tank (line it up slightly behind and to the right of the driftwood...I'd try to score another one and place it slightly behind and to the left of the driftwood--recessed look)
    4)Skeleton head I'd stick towards the left front corner about 1.5" from the side glass of your tank
    5)Lil holey cave I'd stick towards the back right in front of a plant wall as a swim through
    6)Rocks I'd scatter in front of the right and left side of the vals (not the middle)
    7)I'd do a canister filter rather than an another emperor 400 for the higher gph flow, unlimited media options, and ease of cleaning -->Xp4 on ebay for $155 if you watch >>Emperor 400 usually $80 in itself...if your lucky enough to have room beneath your tank you could even do an inline hydor heater (less equipment INSIDE of tank is always a +)
    8)Side note>>watch with the airbubble wand being to close to your intake...IF doing canister with spray bar you more than likely won't even need additional aeration==Spraybar can be placed at top middle of tank to create even surface agitation...and prefilter can be placed over intake if you don't want to suck up fry
    9)lastly I'd place some chain swords (dwarf sublata) here and there or some crypts ((if you use crypts it's not suggested to move them around-melt))

Again, My apologizes...I do this with my own tank too and am currently mapping out a re-do as I type this!

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

6. aeastman

Duly noted Dawn...since I filled it with water, I've been thinking of scooting the wood over some, definantly adding more plants, I don't think I'm gonna get rid of the bubble wall, I like the look of it...the only reason I haven't got canister filtration is the cost...I can get the emperors for 25-50 on craigslist here, at the moment I am working inside a budget...but will definantly be upgrading as I go! thanks for the suggestions!!!

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

thats a good price on the emperors!
    I hear ya on the budget...some cheap ideas that you prob. already thought about:
    -->Terra cotta strawberry planter (nice swim through...great to have plants growing out of the holes)
    -->Terra cotta planters --can place two of them several inches apart and toss a piece of slate across the top for a cheap cave
    --> Substrate> Pool filter sand, PeaGravel
    -->Background>TableCloth, ShowerCurtain, Melamine Board/Shower Board
    -->Plants--AquariumPlants.Com (cheapest I've found--2nd day ship)
    -->HideOuts/SprayBar--PVC Tube, elbows, T's

8. aeastman

Actually i haven't thought about that stuff....thank you, I may take advantage of that advice!

9. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

10. buzz4520

thanks...i'm gonna try and find some

11. aeastman

I got it at my local aquarium supply store...the next time I go in there I'll ask them where it comes from, maybe that will help..

12. buzz4520

i haven't seen anything like this in my lfs, if they did have, they would want an arm & leg for it.

13. aeastman

it sells for $2.99 an pound here

14. aeastman

here are some pics of my tank with the "moon lights" on....
    1156789.jpg 8156789.jpg 3156789.jpg 2156789.jpg

15. ira

ira Member

Nice the rock is a sandstone

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Rainbow rock at my local lfs' is $1.99 - $2.09 per lb.

17. buzz4520

i really like the moon lights...going to see about getting some. there's a few landscapping places close by that i'm going to check out and see what kind rock/stone they have and see what their prices are.

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I was going to moonlight my tank too! I was going be cheap and just use blue LED Christmas lights though to start with :)

19. aeastman

Well, I got lucky and got the light off craigslist for 80.00! It has regular white light, uv, and the led moonlight.... the moonlight is really cool to watch at night...very peaceful.

20. aeastman

NEW PICS AND FISH!!!

NEW PICS!!! I've added some new fish :D and new artificial plants that I made myself with a little help from hobby lobby :D
    The current line up of fish in the tank are:
    5 Black Skirt Tetras
    5 Australian Rainbows
    2 Ghost Catfish
    2 Golden Gourami
    2 Dwarf Gourami
    2 Black Kuhli loaches
    2 African Frogs
    2 Golden Mystery Snails

and soon to come I'm being given some Dalmatian Mollys

I'm also going to upgrade to a canister filter and with an inline heater and a UV sterilizer, hopefully the slight green tint will go away when I'm done
    1156789.jpg 2156789.jpg 3156789.jpg 4156789.jpg 5156789.jpg 6156789.jpg