1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

110 freshwater set up

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by aeastman, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow..pictures are sooo tiny??

2. aeastman

aeastman Thread Starter New Member

I'm re-doing them now....lol

3. aeastman

New Pics, redo....lol!

Ok..re sized the pics...lets try these out!

1156789.jpg 2156789.jpg 3156789.jpg 4156789.jpg 5156789.jpg 6156789.jpg 7156789.jpg 8156789.jpg 9156789.jpg

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

much better. Lol!
    The uv should erradicate the green water.
    Green water typically comes from too much lighting (direct/indirect).
    If you can find/remove the light source (window, etc)...you shouldn't need a uv.

But, if you can't figure it out a uv is the way to go (been through the same situation myself...no indirect light source such as a window, but assumed it was from my moderate-high lighting on the tank. Redid the tank with t5..which is even stronger if you ask me...no uv..and the tank is looking fine?)
    Go figure!

5. aeastman

Yeah...I only have my light on for about 4 hours a day, and the closest window is over 10 ft away and the blinds stay shut...so go figure...the water is relatively clear otherwise.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like your dealing with the same thing I did...my advice..if you have someone you can borrow one from to do that--chances are it may not come back.

Unless your lucky to get a cheap one off ebay or something of course!

7. aeastman

well...I've been looking at them on ebay, can get Chinese made uv's for pretty cheap, just don't know if it's worth messing with...some of the Chinese knockoffs are fine, but ya never know... There is a Chinese "equivalent" canister filter that has the exact specs of an ehiem pro 3 filter and uses the media from ehiem...I'm very tempted to try it, it's like 90.00 with free shipping...

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I just got a filstar xp4 that looks like brand spanking new in the box for $114.56 which included the shipping.

With this I use a 36w coralife turbo twist uv inline (yes, the uv is a monsterous beast).

Some things I'd be scared to buy knock offs..especially knowing the amount of water a canister can hold>>doesn't want a flood in her house!

Of course..if it's in a cement basement or something..then I'd attempt it :)

9. aeastman

well...my floor in my apartment is laminate...vinyl i think...water damage isn't an issue..where did you find the filstar so cheap?

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

tank and fish look good....i have to agree with dawn on buying knock offs, i'd be leary about filtration also, it runs 24/7 (except for cleaning) and if it's not up to par and fails you could have bigger problems.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I got it off ebay, matter of fact I just posted a few on the steals and deals.
    if you pm me I can tell you the seller to watch that I got mine from!

12. aeastman

Thanks for the positive comments! I lost two of the Gourami last night...so it's back to petsmart to get replacements! the other fish I added yesterday are fine, but the two dwarf gourami both died... the gold gourami i got are fine...kinda wierd, but I'll just keep trying :D

13. aeastman

well...the two dwarf gourami died...went back to petsmart and all of the dwarfs they had died last night also...I replaced them with opalescent gourami, tested my water, had high nitrites( and elevated ammonia due to the nitrites) and ph was at 7.5, so I corrected the ph and dosed it with prime by seachem to lower the nitrites...any suggestions on how to counter act the nitrites? better filtration?(I'm using an emperor 400 with the standard charcoal packs and ceramic beads in the basket filters, but will be upgrading to a large canister filter as soon as i can afford one) and have a bubble wall and a korailia stage 2 power head for added circulation... the tank is only been operating for about a month...so I'm giving the chemicals some time to work and am gonna test again tonight...

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nitrates would be seachem denitrate (or at least that's what I used).
    emperor 400 isn't enough on a 110g>>Emperor 400 is for 75-80g
    Add a 2nd emperor 400 or ac110 to the other back side of the tank.
    Check places like ebay and online to get a good deal.

I just grabbed and xp4 for $115 there (not sure what you budget looks like).

15. aeastman

I'm working on a deal with a guy locally on craigslist that has a new xp4 for 135.00, he lost the reciept and can't return it....so i'm calling folks that owe me money trying to collect! LOL!!!

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha! That is a sweet deal for a brand new one...the cheapest I coulda scored a brand new one was I think $149 which included shipping not even a cpl. weeks back.

Good luck with the scrounging for funds!

17. aeastman

well..no luck on the funds, but I remembered that i gave my son a 10gal tank and a large filter, a topfin 60, took it back and gave him a smaller filter for a 20 gal, and added it to my tank along with the emperor, so I should be ok for the time being. water is already looking a little clearer! I'm also scoring 2 Yoyo loaches for $4!!! YAY craigslist!!!

18. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

just save up

19. aeastman

yeah..I am saving for a new canister filter, UV sterilizer and an inline heater...no one told me this hobby was like *censored*! LOL!!! Damn addictive!!!

20. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-canister-filters/107524/rena-filstar-xp-canister-filter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... ilter.html</a>

if your wanting an xp4, check this out, they are on sale and free shipping on orders over $150.00