1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 gallon tank safe on 2nd floor ?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by smcpherson25, Jan 14, 2010.

1. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

wondering if anyone has a 125 gallon or larger aquarium on their 2nd floor? i figure the tank itself weighs 200lbs, stand probably another 200lbs and water 8.3lbs per gallon, so that comes out to about 1437.5lbs !! and thats not including any rocks or wood that i add. my concern is weather or not the floor of my living room can support the weight, especially since i rent. The house is in good condition and everything seems to be in good shape, but i really cant be for sure and the last thing i need is my tank to smash through the downstairs ladies living room along with 125 gallons of water. just wondering anyones thoughts or experiences with this.

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

Without knowing the exact architecture, it would be hard for anyone to really say. The main thing that sticks out right off is that the tank would have to be situated at a load bearing wall and across the joists not parallel. Being that your renting, I wouldn't think that you would pay a structural engineer to come in and survey someone else's house. Who's to say though that you have a cool landlord and they would be able to tell you. ;o)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

5. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

cool thanks, i dont think im going to worry about it, should be fine..... i hope :p