1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Are you going start over with discus?

Rick

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

With breeding yes... That blue "pair" I tried is now in with my Heckels... I am going to get a nice stock hopefully by getting another 2-4 fish to fit this tank... If I get a pair in here I will set the tanks back up as needed...

I only like a few types of Discus and Marlboro Reds are not ones that I like... I like the ones with the blue striations in them and the black bars... not peppered ones so no Discus with Pigeon Blood genes will go in my tank ever again.

I figure if I have a tank of fish that I like if they want to crossbreed I wont mind as much... I just dont want pigeon genetics mixed with regular genetics...

On the plus side my display tank looks good again... no algae and its stocked with more than 3 discus... :)

I can put my resources and energy into just one tank again for a while... the 4 tanks has been putting a hurting on my wallet and I want my living rooms display tank to get some attention again...

3. LemonDiscus

Here is what it looks like today. Nothing new with the looks, just less algae and the 2 blue discus...
    125.jpg

4. LemonDiscus

I added some Microsword again... last batch I purchased became infested with BBA and all died... figured I would try it again... believe it or not all this Sword for less than $20 at the LFS I gave the runt discus to last night... I couldnt help but buy it because today is shipment day and they had all the new plants still in the bags!
    125-more-plants.jpg 125FromChair.jpg

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, I like that don't see it don't bother with it attitude.
    Nice deal on the plants, I can't get plant deals (well other than giving in and ordering from aquariumplants.com...I still have yet to find somewhere else cheaper!). I like the ones in the 2nd photo (center middle).

6. LemonDiscus

The reddish ones in the center middle of the tank are Red Wendtii

They have done really well in my tank... (FYI since you will soon have discus and plants)

---Additionally---

The bare area front and center actually has a purpose... it is where I will have Chain Swords... I have some in there but with the lights out they have not reproduced much... I may have to buy a few clumps of them soon too...

And the final plant I think I will add will be some Val... I had some but it died back with the lights out... not bad for my only plant casualty... :)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I meant the fish. Lol!
    (Ph 6.0 and temp averaging 84.1F)
    Plantwise I am having luck with Cabomba, Crinum Dwarf Onions, Moss Balls, Sag Dwarf Sublata, Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, Nana, Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Indian Red Sword, Red Flame Sword, Green Wendtii, blah blah blah...and theres a few others that I didn't catch the names of that are doing well. Posting photos in a bit to the 90g and 10g thread and you might be able to make them out.

8. LemonDiscus

ok...

Those 2 discus in the middle you like are Blue Turquoises... The one to the left is a Hans Discus... Its a Brilliant Turquoise as he calls them... The other is an Asian variety sold as a Mayan Jade... Basically though its a Blue Turquoise with more red in it and a touch of green in the blue shades...

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ok, thanks for the info on them. They are really nice!
    Can't wait for mine :)

10. LemonDiscus

Tank today... we repainted our walls to match our furniture an my tank... :)
    125Front.jpg 125Side.jpg

11. JIM

JIM New Member

That is gonna be one beautiful tank when its done, great driftwood layout.

12. LemonDiscus

It will never be "done" :)

This is over 2 years in the making where it stands now...

Thank you!

13. JIM

JIM New Member

Well it dont look like to me it needs a lot more, possibly some tall swords in the back corners and a few tall vals, across the back, and maybe right behind the driftwood. And also a thick carpet of Baby-tears, all over the bottom LOL

14. LemonDiscus

Italian Val is on my list of things to add for the middle.. :)

The carpet hopefully will be the Micro Swords...

15. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

ya know, looking at the FTS of your tank, it's screaming turn me into a reef! lol just by looking at it, it would be perfect! what are it's dimensions

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

How's the breeding coming along?
    Tanks looking good!
    I say go Cabomba, it's doing really good in mine.
    Also the ones I have to the front right are doing well too (myrio something or another)...soo many I tend to forget the names. Lol!

17. LemonDiscus

I did cabomba... It worked but I want a "grassy" style tank. So being more like a thread style leaf I dont want it.

These 2 pairs are not breeding... I dont expect them to right now... nor do I really care at the moment if these in this tank do... Right now I just am enjoying having my tank looking close to what I vision it to look like...

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Don't forget to keep posted what plants are working for ya...you know I have to pick your brain on plant stocking. Haha!

19. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

tank and fish are looking great.. ;)

20. LemonDiscus

Will do. You should be able to tell what I have working... The only thing Im not so sure about yet is the Micro Swords... They are growing tall now... I am a borderline low/med light tank so... I just may not have enough light for them to lawn but enough to sustain them... Time will tell there.

Thanks!