1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

With the addition of the one red discus (the REALLY pretty one with the blue in her from the BT) all the pairs in the 125 ended and they seem to be regrouping into new pairs... I added a flower pot on one end for something to spawn on... All fish have their stress bars turned off including the Heckels which is odd... Im not used to that.

So I have 6 Discus in this tank now and that number 6 did WONDERS just as I always say to others. There is no "odd one out" anymore!

2. LemonDiscus

Tank today... Excuse the pot... its just there in case a pair were to form and would like a "room: :)
    125LowQual.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lookin good, but ya need way more plants! Haha :)

4. LemonDiscus

I know... but I want to see if they grow out some... the whole hill around the driftwood should be covered in various plants... thats the plan... hopefully as it matures it will fill in how I hope.

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

even with the pot in there i still say your tank looks really good...i would like to have a piece a driftwood like that but would'nt work very well with my oscars...as clumsy as they are one of them would most likely get stabbed by one of the points.

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

That or move it to the other side of the tank

Rick

7. LemonDiscus

Still awaiting even the SLIGHTEST pairing behavior in this tank... (besides the 2 Heckels that SEEM like a pair...)

8. LemonDiscus

Nothing ended up happening yet...

I re-hardscaped my tank... Instead of the wood coming up and spraying out I changed it to where it comes from the top and sprays down like roots... I like it, something different at least and matches the natural Discus habitat better...

I will get some pictures up when the dust settles in the tank :D

9. LemonDiscus

New hardscape layout
    IMG_2570.jpg

10. LemonDiscus

Red one is gone again in another attempt to breed with one of the other Marlboro Red males...

11. LemonDiscus

More Pics
    1_30_1.jpg 1_30_2.jpg 1_30_3.jpg Heckle.jpg

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Loving the ones in the last photo!
    Oh, and great avatar too! Haha!

13. LemonDiscus

Im still fond of that one Heckel! lol...

Yeah I wish those 2 in the last photo would hurry up and pair up together already! I want their babies for this tank later.....

:) Figured I would try at least to get in the Holiday spirit... You can see my obsession with that Heckel here.... It has been my avatar forever... Same fish as my avatar was before but just the newest photo of it... :)

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, I can see the borderline fish obsession. Haha!

15. LemonDiscus

We all have it :)

For you its the Blue Turquoise strains you seem to like the most! I like the Heckels... If you read some about the Wild Heckel strain you will kind of understand my pride in them (most Heckels die by their owner in a SHORT time and have special demands FAR BEYOND that of the domesticated ones....)

If only the Heckels will actually breed.....

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if they're wild (fish gone wild style), you think they'd be mating all over that tank. haha!
    maybe you need to hold up an instructional book with photos for them?

17. LemonDiscus

Not these wilds... these wilds have never been recorded breeding in captivity... There ARE a few recorded cases of a Heckel breeding with a Domestic (usually the Heckel is the male, even more rare a female Heckel) but NEVER a Heckel with a Heckel.

The females for some reason REALLY dont want to spawn in captivity. There are some ideas floating around as to why they dont:
    1 - Water is MUCH different in the wild for this strain
    a: PH is around 4.5 in the wild
    b: Water is VERY VERY VERY soft

2 - There is little to no light in the natural environment where they are because the water is "black" and the canopy prevent light from getting down to them

3 - They live in a complex system of roots underwater... no plants... no nothing really

And there are other things too... Heckel discus are considered a TOTALLY different species than "common" discus. All "Discus" are in the Genus "Symphysodon" and Discus is the common name for them.

Species
    Symphysodon Haraldi - Blue/Brown Discus (these are where almost all domestics come from)
    Symphysodon Discus - Heckel Discus
    Symphysodon Aequifasciatus - Green Discus

18. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

your fish are looking great !! i really like how their bright and colorful and the detail in them is crisp. i checked out a aquatic store in columbus where the owner had their own discus show tank set up in the store and they (the discus) didn't look near as good as your's do.

19. LemonDiscus

I figured I would re-post the inhabitants of this tank again... Trust me, these pictures do not show the true size of all these fish (all are adults around 6")
    Heckle.jpg fish_maleHeck.jpg fish_littleHeck.jpg fish_BlueTurkJade.jpg fish_BlueTurk.jpg

20. LemonDiscus

Sad to say that a few days ago I found out one of my ballasts died...

I am considering and shopping around for shop lamps to mutilate ( :) ).

I have been devising a plan for an ODNO lighting system and the only issue is no room under my hood for more ballasts! Ahh but I found an answer!!! :cool:

I will move the ballasts to under my tank and mount them to my stand. I will add a piece of wood to hold them if needed. All the wiring will go up from the cabinet to the hood... That comes to the next issue... What do I do when I need to take the hood off? Answer.... Wire harness to disconnect when needed!!

By removing my ballasts from the hood it also gives me room to mount 2 more bulbs!!! My wife approved and I will be getting some shop lights here soon...

Here is what I have versus future:
    32 watts x 6 bulbs = 192 watts | 1.5 wpg (I actually have 2 of these as T12s at the moment putting that a tad higher...)
    56 watts x 6 bulbs = 336 watts | 2.7 wpg This will be the next step
    56 watts x 8 bulbs = 448 watts | 3.5 wpg This will be the step thereafter

Still figuring out how to get into the 5 wpg later without T5s or Metal Hallide... but I need to start planning CO2 soon too.... So thats where the plans end for the moment...