1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Its amazing what a little extra light will do! :) They are doing well!

Nice to see lime green plants in the tank and not the dark green ones I am used to seeing!

That Lotus is CRAZY! SUCH a FAST growing plant!

2. LemonDiscus

Also in case you all didnt notice in the picture I broke all my pairs up... My hot water heater busted and blew water all over our attic and drained down damaging our bedroom ceiling pretty bad, almost half of our upstairs and some lighter damage in our living room.

To keep the fish from getting drywall and insulation in their tanks I moved them back to the display and shut down my breeder tanks... I did this last night and today and even last night almost every fish in my tank is doing the breeding dance (like a quick shake).... Its hard to explain the "dance" unless you have kept discus...

Needless to say its kind of nice to see a full tank again (9 Discus in the tank)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ya, you're gonna be amazed at how fast that lotus grows...and keep me posted on how your microswords do (mine always get green spot or blackish spots).

4. LemonDiscus

The microsword isnt doing bad.... its is getting a bit of algae in the bases of them... But its all growing, I may pull it up and re-plant in a little bit to get the algae out... I have been debating that... BUT it could be entertainment on this day I am snowed in....

I needed to get out the tweezers! :)

Also that sick looking Heckel was not swimming well today... I culled him out... He was past the point of fixing and I am shocked he has lived as long as he has after the Hex infection a few months ago (I knew back then he wasnt going to make it...)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sorry about the discus, but as for the micro...mine would grow fairly well too..except I couldn't stand looking at the gsa on it and the ?blackish looking stuff it would get on it too so I plucked it finally.

6. LemonDiscus

Yeah I got the same problem with mine... I have read to plant the plants in 2-3 plant bunches or even single plant bunches to avoid that... I just pulled up all my swords and tried planting like this...

I was sad to pull them up because the roots were VERY firm in the substrate but...

I am also trying to float the other ones that I didnt plant and see if they grow on the surface (I read a few people that did this to propagate them). I makes sense as being closer to the light they get plenty of that but my concern is the roots...

I may plant what is floating now in the next day or 2 but I am in no hurry... lol... just taking my sweet time :)

7. LemonDiscus

A "pair" spawned in the tank... the female blue turk and another female Marlboro Red... Unless they produce wigglers.... Thats my call... kind of funny to see... I am leaving them in this tank... I dont care, they wont live IF they are a MF pair but oh well...

8. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

This will most likely be spawn that makes it all the way to adults

Rick

9. LemonDiscus

LMAO!!! Yup you watch... against all odds... in the community tank... 2 "females"... That would be my luck! :)

10. LemonDiscus

Bad cell phone video of the prespawn behavior and of my tank...
    If you look close you can see the red one in the center of the tank shaking away with its head up!

It is from a few days ago and the Micro Sword in the front has been pulled up and replanted less dense than it was in this video...

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

The're so pretty, I was in the fish shop near my basketball building last week, The're were such pretty discus, I would've bought em If I had the space, Dang those paretns who dont let me buy bigger fish tanks :)

12. LemonDiscus

The common pleco I have added is out a bit more and to this point I see no plant damage and it has not bothered my discus... fingers still crossed...

Hopefully getting it as a baby it MIGHT not get as aggressive as ones raised with Oscars and other aggressive Cichlids...

BTW if you didnt see the post I made in the whats new thread its a 3"

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

shoulda went with bristlenoses Ryan, I have too many to count in mine and while they don't bother the discus...the discus-when moody will pick/peck at the bristlenoses. Lol!

14. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

my common dont really seem to bother my plant, specially since i added more drift wood. now the little algae eaters i got on the other hand, they seem to like the plant.

also, (im sure you have more experince with this then i do) but my common with my jack dempsy and oscar did not ever seem to get aggresive towards other fish, but it would race to the bottom pellets that i put in there sometimes. but overall i would say it was a pretty mellow fish.

15. LemonDiscus

A long video of my plants, tank and the fish and me playing with them... :)

16. LemonDiscus

That algae I have I cant figure out what it is... its in the video too.... can someone tell me what it is?

17. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

the green tufts of fur? that appears to be the start of beard algae....as well as brush /red algae, and the only true way to get rid of this stuff is via a TRUE SAE. the algae is near impossible to grab due to its sliminess, and once water bourne even the smallest piece will recolonize. it looks AWESOME on a single large rock or piece of wood but anywhere else its the hardest algae to get rid of. I had it, got a SAE dou and well within 48 FULL hours(3 days worth) it was all gone and well all my algae is gone.

oto's,pleco's CAe's ect will not touch it, the SAE is the only fish known that will just engourge themselves on it, its not uncommon to have up to .5 inches of growth within 4-6 weeks and very visible body mass growth while they are chomping on a big pile of it.

I can get true ones here and guarantee them to be true SAE's, recently in the hobby and this is a few states worth of looking(hunting fishing trips require pit stops at all fish stores when I go, just never know what you will stumble across) but they are being sold as a algae eating shark

This is what helped me distinguish the SAE for the CAE and the other ?AE;s out there.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/saes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/saes.htm</a>

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You can also tell true sae's from my 90g thread. Early on I had a side by side comparison of the cae and sae's. Sae's are the only ones that will have the black vertical stripe running directly through their center which starts at the tip of the mouth and slightly fades out when it hits the start of the tail (has to run from tip of mouth THROUGH eye as seen in photos). cae's stripe doesn't begin until just behind the eyeball.
    11-14-09 90g Praecox Rainbows, SAES, Black Neon Tetra glowlight tetras.JPG 100_0031.JPG

19. LemonDiscus

Here is a preview of the fish I should be getting soon.... These are the strain but not the exact fish... however this is a photo from the supplier that they will be coming from... up to 4 of these MAY be mine... The other 6 are on hold right now...
    IMG_8078_resize.jpg

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

they are different...kinda pretty.
    Gonna go all albino now? (albino Bristlenose, albino Cory, Albino Discus) hehe