1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: 125 Planted Disucs Tank

Ryan, I captured a video of one of my discus doing the water squirt feeding haha it's on my phone so it's not the best quality but still is cool to watch!

2. moreless39

moreless39 New Member

Excellent tank BW, I'm into rainbows myself and have had thoughts of saltwater, but I do like disc's...exotic looking but wonder about the level of care. I'll follow this thread to see how you progress. Really nice looking ...

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Thank you....

Discus are not hard to care for.... you just have to keep the water really clean! Plants help with that a lot! :D

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

My sister almost bought a discus for me today :)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Speaking of Discus, the guy at my lfs was trying to talk me into them the other day when I was there...saying my ph is ideal (6.0 and possibly a bit lower since it was lighter than the lowest api reading color).

Seen a gorgeous one that I can't remember the name for the life of me...but was a sky blue with different colored pearlescent stripes running up and down on the body. They wanted $49.99 and it was about 4-5" across. Still hesitant to do them due to the price despite my good maint. on the tank.

Hey Ryan, How often are you changing their water and in what amount...also is their any specific thing to really watch on them when it comes to water readings? Thinking of somewhere down the road "testing" 1 possibly.

6. LemonDiscus

Not really Dawn. Nothing special. Just keep PH where you have it and steady.... GH and KH should be a bit low but that is not really something I hang myself on, nor should anyone.

I change 10-20% every week. My plants keep it to where I dont have to change more....

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..thanks for the info..I guess I'll take the plunge in the future.
    Do they eat smaller fish and what's their compatibility like in a community tank?
    I know it's better to have 2-3 of them together.

8. LemonDiscus

Yes they will eat anything living that will fit in their mouths.... that does exclude though most fish! Mostly fry that they can get a hold of to eat. Even young tetras are OK as long as the Discus is not full grown.

They are compatible with anything that will not bother them. I would not recommend Angelfish with them but they can live with them. The key to keeping them community is maintaining the water for the Discus and not for the other fish in the tank. The water parameters are what makes it hard on other species of fish in the community.

Yes groups are always better. The more, the merrier! Watch out for 2 though.... they will take out aggression on each other and the weakest one my get bullied to death.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay, last question (crosses fingers and mumbles I think)...what temp are they kept at? I remember you saying really high to the point you were having trouble with plants.
    Wondering if the plants I have won't make it and if that would be the case then they will be put off until the distant future..or until I get tired of maintaining the plants. Lol!

10. LemonDiscus

It is high, I have had trouble with plants... that my be the only real problem you may have. You might be able to inch the temp up where the plants will just adapt and not be harmed. I myself got the temp thing with plants under control now.

I keep my tank at 88 degrees solid. The range for Discus is outside the Ich cycle at 86 degrees to 96 degree when sick. Anywhere in the middle is fine. I recommend 86-92 when healthy so you dont have melted plants and other dead fish in the community. It helps keep the O2 in a stable are for all other things....

The one plus is, the higher temps decrease O2 for everything... meaning CO2 at night is a bit higher due to the heat... It kind of makes a cheap way to have CO2... :)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Awesome looking tank, too bad the pictures so small you cant see anything in detail, but i know thats not your fault.

12. LemonDiscus

You can click on the picture.... I did not resize them to be that small.... actually if you click on it and the click the image to magnify up the tank is wider than your screen. You have to side scroll to see.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

tried I just get a white box

14. LemonDiscus

It works for me... it shows up as a little white box (new browser window) with a small picture in it.... enlarge the window to full screen then click the picture in the window.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I just get an empty white box, no picture, and the arrows are "greyed" out so I cant use them. No worries, I can tell everything is looking great!

16. LemonDiscus

For the heck of it, a few days ago I purchased by last 2 bulbs I need to run all 6 bulbs I have room in my hood for. I had been running all day on the 4 bulb plug. After adding the 2 new bulbs to the hood I am now going to try taking my tank back to a low light tank by running 2 bulbs most of the time and turn on my other 4 for company.

Hopefully this will hold back algae growth some more....

17. LemonDiscus

I de-beard-algead most of my driftwood last night. I also fully vacuumed the bottom of my tank (I rarely do this as there is no room for the vacuum really with all of the plants and driftwood)

I also re-arranged my tank quite different than how it was before. The large "centerpiece" of driftwood is now over on the side and I have 2 planted regions (one on each end) and the center is open.... I think it looks cleaner now!

I will get pictures up later. I would have done it last night but the Discus were kind of stressed from me moving everything in their tank.. I figured I would give them a day to get used to it and look a bit more natural before taking pictures...

18. LemonDiscus

Here it is! I think it looks MUCH cleaner now... well it really is "cleaner" too!! lol

Its amazing how hard it is to vacuum a planted tank :confused:
    5-19-08-tank.jpg

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

OMG Ryan! That is discus heaven!

Just so you know, for the past almost 2 weeks, the older pic of your tank like this has been my desktop background haha.

Is that a compliment or what?!

20. LemonDiscus

Wow... it is... I did no know...

I think this is better... easier for the Discus to swim in the open... they dont like areas they cant move...