1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Re: 125 Planted Disucs Tank

thank you!

2. LemonDiscus

I have this on another thread but I figured I would add it to my log of my 125 because this is a DRASTIC change.

Pictures will come soon btw!

I removed 2 pieces of driftwood... One of which was that "Y" shaped piece. I took that one out because it was covered in beard algae AND I was just sick of looking at it. Everytime I designed my tank I HAD to design around it... I got tired of it... also I got rid of another piece that I never could get to work in my desigins.

I added 1-2" of pea gravel over top my 1/2-1" of sand.

I removed SEVERAL plants from the tank including about 15 swords, the stargrass entirely... I pruned all the swords that went back in the tank... rinsed the algae off...

And of course came the fun part... I redesigned the tank! I like this as a good re-starting point... I may be adding something else to the tank (livestock) so I kind of laid the tank out to accommodate this creature IF I decide to drop the $200 on this fish....

3. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

is it a arowana lol

4. LemonDiscus

Nope... :) No Arowana that costs $200

Actually, its a freshwater stingray.... I will have to nix my tetras, corys and otos in this tank, move them to my 55 gallon upstairs.

I will need to find a "safe" Pleco or 2 with some size... otherwise all the others might end up as food... they are safe with Discus though! Actually, Discus and Stingrays live together in the wild...

Thats why I cleared out my tank like I did... some room for a ray to move... now I have to talk the wife into it... its not the fish that I will have problems convincing.. its a fish that costs 4x what a Discus costs that will be hard :)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

just leave out the price part. Lol!
    I soo do it all the time :)

6. LemonDiscus

Actually.... she just said yes... she DID say we would have to save for it... but she said yes [dancing]

Now I just have to wait for the funds to pay for it... If I really do this, this would be cool!

FW Rays REQUIRE the EXACT parameters as my Discus! They make PERFECT tankmates... again, I need to think of re-arranging and I might even need to pull ALL my substrate... I got to feel it today and see how rough it is.... time to start scaping and prepping for this guy/gal!

7. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

wow the new addition is going to be soo exciting to see :D

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

rays need soft substrate (sand)...if you didn't like the natural as in play...you can always goto petsolutions and get this--> <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3401&p=46794&hilit=CaribSea#p46794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3401&p=46794&hilit=CaribSea#p46794</a>

if you order from them be sure to use the coupon code THKY for $5 off a $50 purchase like I did ;)

9. LemonDiscus

They dont NEED sand but gravel MUST be smooth! Sand CANNOT be silica based (I think both pool filter and play sand are silica based)

I have some time for more research, I dont think I can afford that sand Dawn... It DOES make a good suggestion... time... it will most likely be a month or 2 before I actually get a ray IF I choose to get it...

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

all I know is at my local zoo they have them in a nice size open top tank and they have what looks like play sand in the bottom for them

~Good Luck!

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.estesco.com/aqua.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.estesco.com/aqua.html</a>

lemon check out this site, they got gravel/sand that is designed for smoothed belly and sensitive skin aquatic critters. they got all sorts of shapes and colors to chose from. hope this helps.

12. LemonDiscus

Now I have to find where to get it, how much comes in the bag and of course the price... all my reading says this IS what I need... this IS what 90% of people who keep them have...

Thanks

13. buzz4520

try this lemon

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.shop.com/+-a-estes+gravel.com-p116420426-g1-k24-st.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shop.com/+-a-estes+gravel.co ... 4-st.shtml</a>

14. buzz4520

i think big al's online may also carry the estes gravel.

15. LemonDiscus

Well its about time... still could not find my CF Card, but figured out a way to get the pictures from my Rebel... I dont like the shooting format I had to use... but I got the driver to at least get photos off of my camera (jpg and I like cr2).

They are not the best but this is some random shots of my tank and some inhabitants.
    Picture-001.jpg Picture-002.jpg Picture-003.jpg Picture-004.jpg Picture-008.jpg Picture-012.jpg

16. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

wow it's looking sooo good, i love the driftwood

17. buzz4520

fish and tank looks great...

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looking good Ryan, but need another sword in there..Lol! (this coming from a person who can't even see her substrate through plants)

19. LemonDiscus

:) it WAS like that... I moved about 15 swords to another one of my tanks for right now...

20. LemonDiscus

Ok, here are 5 of the 6 Discus in my display tank....
    heckelShow1.jpg heckelOther.jpg brown.jpg MayanJade.jpg badfin.jpg