1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

150g tank build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Mar 12, 2011.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

here's a few pics of our progress thus far. the worst part is waiting on the paint to dry between coats.
    469.JPG 468.JPG 466.JPG

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Nice tank. What you going to put in it?

Rick

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Really nice blue, what brand of spray paint and name of the color was that again?

Looks really close to my marina blue :)

4. buzz4520

my 125g had sprung a leak, so we upgraded to a 150g, the oscars, dempsey, and plecos are going in the 150g.

nautical blue is the color (made by Glidden). due to weather, couldn't have it outside to spray the paint so i did it with a brush and roller.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ah, okay. Still looking good regardless...I had absolutely no skill when attempting to spray paint and considered rolling, but thought I'd get that "spackle" like look once it dried so i'm curious to see how yours comes out and how many coats it takes.

6. buzz4520

it took about 5 coats and almost a quart of paint.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, I wouldn't have thought 5 coats!!
    Looks good though, can't wait to see it all stocked :)

8. buzz4520

more pics. change over complete, 150g up and running, the 125g in the spare room waiting for repairs, which won't be anytime soon.
    486.JPG 485.JPG 483.JPG 482.JPG 480.JPG 478.JPG 476.JPG 470.JPG

9. buzz4520

i didn't either, the paint is actually home interior paint and didn't want to "cover" the glass. the first few coats i put on kind of thin, then i said the heck with it and put it on a little thicker.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

man, that looks great!
    Amazed you don't stick the heater on the side wall (just a thought).

Are you using a light fixture or simply using the room lighting?

11. buzz4520

thank you. the heater is only a 200w (getting a couple 300w soon), got it under the a/c 110 to help spread the heat around. the light fixture is from a 10g tank with 2 fluorecent bulbs and it's setting on the center lid.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh, makes sense then :)
    and couldn't see the fixture in the photo but bet the fish are loving the upgrade.

13. buzz4520

with in an hour after they went back into the tank they'er acting as if nothing ever happened (snatched out of one tank, put into small tubs for a day, then snatched out of the tubs and put back into the new tank), they are doing alot better than i thought they would. oscars don't like change very well, i was looking forward to see them "pout" for a few days, so far so good.

14. buzz4520

a few pic from this morning, they're being more active and looking for food.
    145.JPG 142.JPG 141.JPG

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Beautiful, that painted background really makes them all pop!

that color woulda been perfect for the 90g, Grr.

16. buzz4520

thanks dawn, we were hoping that the back ground color would've turned out a little darker but it still turned out all right. we are happy with it.

17. buzz4520

here's some pics from this morning shortly after lights on. as you see they weren't too happy to see the camera.
    150.JPG 151.JPG 152.JPG 158.JPG 157.JPG 159.JPG

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

tank looks freaking awesome buzz!
    I bet their loving the extra space...and the artificial plants with the diy gravel bases look great (gives them somewhere to hide)...as I see their doing when you came at them with the camera. haha!

But then again, I've seen very few fish that jump to the front of the tank and "beg" to have their photo taken. lol!

19. buzz4520

thanks dawn. they are loving the extra room. my wife found the fake plants at petland, a little expensive ($62.00 for both) but saved me the hassle of trying to make them.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I saw some artificial plants at my local dollar store and considered whether they'd be safe as they look the same as the "fabric" ones you get at the petstore (thinking all that'd need done would be making the base outta gravel to keep them in place). Do the ones you have feel like they have a "wire" in them to shape them, or are they completely plastic (meaning the veins/stalks/stem)?

WOW! your not kidding that was expensive, but then again I think all the fish decor is outrageous in the petstores.
    I used to buy various things (decoration wise) at the petstore, but most would quickly fade or fall apart so these days I can't bring myself to dust the cobwebs off the wallet for "store" decor. Lol!