1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20 gallon long lighting question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, May 1, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

As some of you are aware I have a 20 gallon long glass aquarium, originally I had a 36" Coralife Aqualight T5HO 2 x 21W fixture which caused too much algae (daily to every other day I needed to use my mag-float over the glass).

Upon late night readings I've come to find that I should have probably had only 1wpg of T5 lighting over the tank being I wasn't adding any ferts or doing any form of co2.

So now my question is what would be the ideal type of lighting for a 30" long planted aquarium (low to medium light plants) that doesn't require the use of co2 or ferts?

and would I do better with the fixture that has 2 T5 bulbs simply swapping out one for an actinic (knowing actinics aren't beneficial to plants with the thinking that it might prevent the algae)?

This is a link where I was checking out various types/brands of light fixtures...links back to recommendations would be appreciated.
    http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aquarium-light.aspx

2. MOD_Dawn

3. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Do you need/keep the light on 24/7 ?

4. MOD_Dawn

nope, I usually do 10hours...12 max.
    I use the tanks light for room lighting :)

5. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

An old fart at our local club one day did a talk on algae in the aquarium. He say's use a timer and turn the light off after 2 hours, for 30 minutes, then if needed turn it back on again. So I did.
    After a month my plecos were starving...

On for 2 hours, off for 30 minutes, on for 2 hours, off for 30 minutes and on and on and on ...
    He says it stops the photosynthesis process when you eliminate the light sourse stopping algae growth.

Just my 2cents

6. MOD_Dawn

that's interesting, I use a timer on my lights but can honestly say I haven't come across a timer that would allow you to do so (the on and off repeatedly). Did you have plants in your tank at the time and how did they do with the on and off schedule?