1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20 gallon long suggestions

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MOD_Dawn, Jan 12, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Okay, staring at the empty 20 gallon long and considering my options of what to do with it (besides put it out of comission) and am looking for suggestions.

So far, my only requirements are that
    1) it has to be freshwater (no brackish/salt)
    2) it not be guppies or any type of loach
    3) it be something different than what I'm already keeping (view the 90g linked in my signature)

Now for the boring stuff:
    [*]20 gallon long glass aquarium fitted with glass canopy
    [*]Filtration will be TWO Aqueon 30-45 Power Filters (rated to have a 200 GPH) that will be fitted with Fluval Edge Prefilters ... may possibly utilize a lustar sponge filter also?
    [*]Lighting will be T5 Lamp High Output Fixture (2x 31 watt lamps...so 3TWPG)
    >Bulbs are One 10,000K and One Colormax pink bulb
    [*]Misc- Have heater, digital probe to monitor waters temp, 1w led, and current background is pink, but can easily be changed...also have eco-planted red substrate which I'm not a fan of using (I favor the sands)

2. MOD_Dawn

Despite total disaster when I kept an african cichlid tank I was looking at ...
    shell dwellers
    Neolamprologus leleupi (Yellow)

I know typically they are kept in a high Ph of 8+, but has anyone had any experience of keeping them in a lower Ph?
    Do they adjust or do they simply not acclimate (disease/die off)?

Other current possible considerations...
    >Bee Shrimp (the red/white ones)
    >Archocentrus nigrofasciatus

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've seen people keep then in the 7's but never 6's. I honestly don't think they'd adjust to a pH of 6ish, but I could be wrong.

Would a shrimp tank be too boring for you ? LoL

4. MOD_Dawn

I did the cherry shrimp before, got rather bored with them since that's basically all you could keep.
    Thought about maybe red crystal ones since i DO like the red color...but I think I'd probably do a planted cherry barb or longfin serpae tetra tank first.

I too thought they wouldn't acclimate properly...with the low PH I'm cautious to a point knowing that basically anything in the tetra family and discus do REALLY well.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Id have to say toss in a UGF and some gravel put a reverse power head on there and let the pangios and kuhllis breed.
    they are going 3 for $10 bucks out here at the swaps.

Id do some small south americans in there, maybe go with a different variety of rams? possibly peacock apistos?

cherry barbs or serpaes will take to your water no problems with the proper drip acclimation.

6. MOD_Dawn

Hmm..I could do that, but then I'd have to chase the boogers through the tank (not happening). Shoulda gave me that idea BEFORE everyone went back to the 90g. Lol!

Funny you should says apistos being I was looking at the double red cockatoos...seen ones that look like these but more red--> http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1664
    Problem is I've never seen them at any of the lfs around here (maybe I'll ask the one lfs I use and see if they could order them)?

I had cherry barbs and serpaes BEFORE the discus and they did awesome (even spawned) without the need for drip so that would be my easiest route imo.

<--never kept apistos, if I go with them what do I need to know about them?

7. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

If you are looking for some nice shelldwellers I could send you a few. These guys do well in colonies. You pay for shipping and I will send you 8 or more depending on how many i can get before they go into the shells. They are lipidiolamprologus Hecqui. They get about 3 inches and can be fiesty but don't really hurt each other. I have around 60 of them.

The nice thing with these is you can use rocks and make caves and they will still spawn. My last fry came from inside a pleco cave.

Jeff

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

double peacocks would be friggin sweet dawn.

Yeah I gotta buy some more I think I am going to get 2 dozen next time. Mine are easy to catch, I just use a salt water worm catcher lol

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I keep shell dwellers (neolamprologus multifasciatus) and I have VERY, soft, acidic water. Mine did fine in the ph 7.0 water but never spawned until I added some crushed coral and started using a Tang buffering salt. My colony has gone from 8 to about 20 in a matter of a few months. They are very interesting to watch, plan on them arranging the tank however.

10. MOD_Dawn

But don't they need the higher pH (mine's steady 6.0)?

11. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

They wouldnt do good in that PH but mine is around 7.4. They were sharing a tank with some albino bristlenose plecos.

12. MOD_Dawn

Thanks for the offer, I greatly DO appreciate it.
    But with my low pH and not wanting to get into constantly adjusting it I'll have to graciously decline.