1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20g Stocking/Compatibility:Scottbeck32976 (Questions & Advic

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Feb 25, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Starting out from scratch!!!

I just said a few posts back, (well this was one instance of a few) that the Angel Fry clouded around the intake (weak filter) and they got sucked into the prefilter to where they could not get out.

I tried a few other ways and they were still sticking to the sponge.... BUT again they are not live-bearers and quite weak at swimming, but that turned me off to prefilters and I just do sponges for breeding tanks now!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I tried covering my xp4 bottom of the heater intake thingey with a sponge (can probably see it in one of the photos)...and it stopped up the filter. Had to take it off. Same issue with the emperor 400s.
    I did the pantyhose, but the shrimp found their way through (dirty lil buggers). Lol!

3. LemonDiscus

That too! I actually have a pre-filter on my Endler tank and it runs weak because of it!

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

I like this...it is interesting. What type of sponges are you/were you using?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can't remember the name (can picture the box in my head)...it was the pre-filter that they sell in Petsmart for Turtle/Reptile tanks that are only partially full? It was black in color and about 3" in length and pretty much the same in diameter. Somewhere on here I have a photo and you can see it on the intake zip tied around the heater intake/ emperor intakes.
    I think it's in the planted section (90g planted).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I'm wondering are all or most power head submersible?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, all powerheads are placed underwater...

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

OK just want to make sure, before I spent 20 or so buck then fried it on mistake.

9. LemonDiscus

I used an assortment of things:

Pantyhose - Horrible... the fish could not get away from the intake... this thing is like a 100GPH filter and was pulling them in with this from about 4 inches away...
    Tetra Filter Bag - Pulled them a few inches from the intake, but once in became an ornament in the bag
    The Sponge - it was something like this <a class="postlink" href="http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-85300140756196_2040_24279786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 0_24279786</a> ..... yeah, this was kind of a mix of the pantyhose and the filter-bag... they would still get pulled into it.... this was on a 55 gallon tank and the only filter but the fish kept insisting on hanging out near the intake!

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

Well...if you feel like experimenting...look into the aqua clear sponges. They are not designed as prefilters. They are square and are supposed to go into the HOB filters. Just cut a slit almost all the way through. I even use them to help diffuse Co2 by letting the sponge catch the bubbles.

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my intakes are too wide, i'd have to wrap them around and it would be a pain in my case. I have read where many others have been able to use them successfully though.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Okay so you just get the sponge slice it almost in half and just put it in the tank? please explain im kinda lost lol

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yes, bought the pre-filter sponge...widened the hole in the center (for the one I used) and pushed it over the intake opening. If it fits too loosely or you have to do the wrap around..use zip ties to hold it in place.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

intake opening you mean where the air goes out? how much does the sponge cost i have a petsmart right around the corner or a walmart.. please let me know..

Thanks [dancing]

16. LemonDiscus

No, intake is where the water comes into the filter.... the long tube on a Hang on Back (HOB) filter that pulls the water up! Also on a canister it looks the same as a HOB... It pulls the water in....

Nothing worse than having fish getting sucked into the filter!

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So whats the easiest and cheapest way to keep your water filtered? any other way than having to buy a filter? im just curious
    ;)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as for the cost..I know I paid about $6 bucks...but I needed a really large one.
    Couldn't answer on the other than a filter...I defin. do the overkill filtration.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Where did you get yours for 6?

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Petsmart in the turtle products aisle. It was a pre-filter for a turtle filter (the kind that go in partial water)...for the life of me I can't remember the brand. It was sold individually in a box that hangs on a peg in the store (not sitting on shelf)...the photo showed ceramic rings being inside the filter (cover picture) that was on this particular sponge filter.