1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20g Stocking/Compatibility:Scottbeck32976 (Questions & Advic

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Feb 25, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: Starting out from scratch!!!

There's no substitute for filtration. The cheapest route would be a DIY sponge filter. The only thing with those is that they take up floor space inside the aquarium. Next would be the HOB (Hang on Back). So many varieties to choose from but I'm not sure if one out weighs the other in performance. Next would be canisters. Nice filters. Limited current coming back into the tank via spraybar. I have two: a ZooMed 501 for a 10g and a PennPlax 700 for a 46g. Ultimately leads up to sumps. These are used for larger tanks and offer the best filtration.

As for the DIY prefilter, yes just cut a slit in the middle of the sponge just large enough to get the strainer portion of the intake in it. You will cut it almost but not quite all the way through. This should cover the entire strainer area.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

great information James. thanks for providing/sharing :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT MY FILTER!!! I HAVE MY 20G SET UP WITH 3 GUPPIES I HAVE 1 MALE FANCY GUPPY AND 2 FEMALE FANCY GUPPIES... HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE JUST CURIOUS FOR FURTHER REFERENCE...THIS IS SO AWESOME IVE NEVER HAD A TANK THIS BIG AND IT IS SAWEEEEEEEEETT THANKS TO YOU GUYS ;)

SCOTT :D

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The males have a fancy tail and colorful... the females are kind of plain

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the males tale is kinda longer and puffier thats about it they are all colorful [dancing]

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Now that i have a filter and everything.. if my water gets nasty how do i resolve it? i just want my tank to stay looking nice.. :D

Scott

7. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Your filter should keep it from getting nasty. That and no less than bi-weekly water changes. I change all of mine once a week but its fine either way. Cloudy water is never an issue for me... :)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Okay cool..Thank you for the info! ;)

Scott

9. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

Okay, so I'm a little biased... I love South American fish... and I know you've all been talking about guppies. However, a 20 gallon long, planted with Amazon Swords, throw in a few pieces of driftwood, is beautiful. Add 6 Corys, 6 Hatchets, and either 2 schools of 6 tetras or (even better) just a big, great school of 10-12 Cardinal tetras, and you have perfection. You have top, mid-level, and bottom swimmers, lots of action, great color... What more can I say? No offense to guppies, but a South American biotope is great.
    --Melinda

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Very good info thank you ... i will keep that fish selection in mind ;)

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The females also have a nice dark spot after their body where the tail meets. It will grow larger when they are preggo, whuch won;t be long if they are not already...LOL!! One of mine gave birth the day I brought her home...LOL!!

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol i dont think mine will but you never know :) they were in separate tanks females in 1 and males in the other.. another thing when feeding them how much should i feed them? i have flakes and have 3 guppies..please let me know..

Thanks,

Scott ;)

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Can you say....slightly over stocked? :)

Pushing that 20 hard with those numbers eh?

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

how much should i feed my guppies? 1 pinch 2 pinches? 2 times a day?

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

As much as they will consume in ~ 5 mins. Usually a pinch between the cheek and gums (oh wait...got side tracked....tv flashbacks....;o) )

Just a pinch should be fine once daily.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

They had my guppies separated as well when I bought them. I guess the mechants do not...LOL!! I was not suprised as I have had them before and knew what a preggo female looked like...LOL! I givce my guppies a pinch of food in the AM. If there are fry or PG (preggo) females then a pinch 2 times oer day.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I feed my community 2-3 times a day with a varied diet (SMALL feedings of course). Overall I think it's better to do the tinier frequent feedings when your able to .

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I feed mine mainly 1 time a day but If i have the time wich is soemtimes hard to find I feed them 2/3 times.