1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

210g discus build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Apr 24, 2010.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

I havnt even begun to show you guys my dwarfs yet, thats only a few of them, I got more in another planted tank.

Ill get pics once I can, Ive been out of work for 3 months and am absolutely going insane finding things to occupy my time that require physical energy. Taking pics is what I do when I am bored cause I end up with hundreds.

I am going to add more plants and move/trim things up a bit, I gotta use a straw cause I havnt bought my snorkel set yet.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my ram loves to hide behind my driftwood and inside the hollowed out coconut shell.
    I tried the cichlid rocks and similar decor with openings and they never bothered with a single one!

Sorry to hear about the wigglers being gone, they may have just moved them out of sight? (fingers crossed).

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

no they are gone, they are moving all around the tank too much to be guarding anything.

got it planted, ill snap pics soon.

4. Leslie

Leslie New Member

i really like your tank. i like the way it is set up. and your fishys are very pretty.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

New pics with new discus

<a class="postlink" href="http://tinypic.com/a/26y4w/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tinypic.com/a/26y4w/1</a>

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

awesome looking tank you got going there, I'm guessing the lights/background are making the water appear hazy...that or you just finished with a good siphoning?

Your pigeon bloods look close to mine with the amount of peppering (very little) & I seen the 1 dark tiny guy (defin gonna be your runt unless you seperate it and power feed it...and even then your chances aren't super)...been there, done that!

The substrate looks like eco...if I didn't know you were using aqplants substrate I would swear it was eco.

Soo envious on the tank size....I keep tellin the hubby I need an entire house just for the tanks and pets alone. Haha!

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

once he starts to act abnormal is when that little bugger will go in with the dwarfs, he is holding his own against those 4 and 5" in there without a problem.

that was a 50% PWC I had to rescape the tank due to plant growth but my algae problem is LONG gone. whoda thunk lowering a light 15" will give you less algae.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my runt acted fine all along and would hold it's own against the bigger ones, so your's might do the same and be able to stay in their.

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yeah he holds his own fine, he chased down the dominant male this morning so I opted to leave him if he had cajones that big.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

Little guy is def holding his own, he chased down and attacked the dominant male in the tank. The little guy was snoozing next to a verticle mopani piece and the male and female decided to start cleaning it for eggs.

All are doing well. My super veil blue male and pinoy leopard female decided to give me wigglers again, maybe they will let them be this time.

New pics coming soon.

11. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I have a runt too! Not sure if its ever gonna grow. It was pretty sick when I got it and only one of two out of six that survived the treatment so I dont think its gonna grow anymore. Its not much more than 2-3 inches. Its pretty feisty too! Doesnt get chased as much as my bigger Discus do.

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yup, same here, Ive had 3 die so far out of 23 so I think those odds are great, two others died of what I call stone face disorder, they shrink down to scales and gutpack face turns stone grey and they die within 3 weeks.

The little guy is a PITA to get a pic of, he isnt 2" yet. He appears to be a "GHOST" strain with 4 bars and of course the ghost trademark eye band.

I want to breed stunted ones to get nano discus, or I can leave that up to the indo breeders.

13. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I lost a bunch before I got the ones I have. I would buy six and lose 2 or 3 of them. Just depends on how big they are. The bigger ones I buy tend to be a lot hardier.

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

Updated
    <a class="postlink" href="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=TD0PzMlQ46ARqBvK4zCjOQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=TD0 ... CjOQ%3D%3D</a>

heres 1 pair
    ai25.tinypic.com_14mq59f.jpg

here is the other

ai31.tinypic.com_165co2.jpg

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hey devil, what type are the dark duos (bottom photo)??

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

I think those are hifin blue diamonds, its what I ordered anyways.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I thought they were hiback purples. Very Very nice size on them!

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

No they darken up when they hide and that was right before feeding so they were just out for the morning. The black substrate and background was not a good choice for these fish. Id do a blue or pink background (watermelon) next time. I paid 25 each for them @ 2.5" he was out so gave me a mating pair of 5" in place of what he was out of. I am very very happy with these two last guys Ive gone with, discusmadness and hawaiidiscus, awesome awesome quality and their customer service is the best I have seen yet in this hobby.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

do the pink, tried the blue and while it was alright...the pink was defin much much better.
    I did the cheapo plastic party banquet tablecloths from wal-marts birthday party aisle....I tried to do the krylon and it was darker and I didn't like the end result.

If you go with krylon try the ballet slipper pink (basically same color as my tablecloths I used).

Yea, I remember you getting the owners own breeding pair or something like that..can't beat that!

20. WhiteGloveAquatics

Nope, a proven pair for 50 bucks on discus, Im used to paying that for rare rams and apistos.