1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

210g discus build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Apr 24, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

LoL, so far I think the discus are the most I've spent on a single fish thus far.

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

I got EGG's!!!!!!

Observe
    ai30.tinypic.com_6sbbch.jpg

also album is updated with more pics.

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Congrates! We have a discus epidemic here on TEF.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

The yo-yo loach lies in wait of the tasty south american caviar. Little does he know the Male lies in wait for him.

I have ANOTHER pair that have been really detailing the cypress stump in the tank and starting to clear the area of other fish even snails.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

They are laying eggs now on the underside of a broadleaf anubias thats rooted in the stump.

Both front corners are now cribs.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

That's going to be an interesting tank to watch.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

Good thing is the female dog gold ram I had went belly up the other day, really swollen with eggs(yes I did to confirm suspicions) so with her being gone the tank is VERY calm and everything is doing what it wants without fear anymore so I think because its established and they have been dancing for a few days and the others just look on(perverts) and thats about it.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

watch the rest of the discus, I believe mine offed the 1 (green flachen) when they had eggs hid on the driftwood.
    They'll get really nasty when gaurding!
    Best of Luck with them...hoping mine eventually get it right (watching them as I type and the female is actively fanning them).

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

Sad news, the blue spotted male from that pair jumped ship last night, thought it was Mr.Magoo's black mouse but alas it was the biggest male in the tank.

I am going to purchase egg crate in a few minutes and making a top for it.

Since when do Discus jump?

RIP fatboy
    ai30.tinypic.com_25gq8gk.jpg

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

omg! Soo sorry to hear that, and yeah they do jump (reason I have glass canopy top)....heck, haven't you seen yours spooked and darting into the tank walls? (yea, bigger fish ..bigger brain...I don't think so!!)

Good luck with the egg crate/lighting diffuser!

11. WhiteGloveAquatics

the egg crate works great, ill snap pics its custom quality well for what it is.

It definitely cuts down on the light but that isnt a bad thing when you are running 640w on a 210g tank.

The female has retreated and secluded herself to a dark back corner, she did eat lunch when it was given directly to her. I am not expecting her to live.
    We will be replacing the pair if she does kick it.

Ive seen em spooked but they dont swim far at all. Its a quick sprint then done.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

mine do mad dashes when spooked and have literally splashed me when feeding (kinda do this side swim to the surface to block the others).
    Sorry to hear about the pair, maybe she'll find someone new to spark her interests.