1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

29 gallon Malawi stocking?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am going to get a bunch of malawi cichlids for my 29 gallon. I just want to know how many is a good amount that they won't be able to establish a territory and will not fight over territory?

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

3 maybe 4 tops and that still may be pushing it. I like to overstock a little to keep aggression down. Just make sure you keep up with your water changes. 29 gallons is a little small for Malawi Cichlids as they can grow to be fairly large.

3. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I don't think I would even try Malawi Cichlids in a 29

Rick

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I wouldn't put any in a 29 gallon tank either.

5. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Yeah it's not even worth it with Malawi cichlids. You would need a bigger tank in a few months. You could do like a colony of tang shell dwellers with maybe 1 or 2 Malawi.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am going to get 6-8 cichlids and go from there. I will buy them as babies and make sure there plenty of hiding place in my tank. I am planning to buy a 55 gallon in a couple months depending on how much I like the African's. (and how much money I have, damn, this is an expensive hobby!)

7. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

You will love the cichlids. Definitely make sure you get a bigger tank soon. They grow quick!

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

imo...if your wanting to keep/start off with that many, spend a little more and get at least a 75 gal, you'll have more options for aquascaping and room for addition of a few more fish. i have 9 africans & 1 pleco in a 55 and imo they've outgrown it, 1 is allready at 6in (1/2 the depth of the tank), 1 @ 5in, 2 @ 4 1/2in, 5 @ 3in (1 of these - venustus - will get approx 10in), pleco is approx 7in. we're in the process of getting a larger tank so our current stock can thrive more and we can then get a few more, they are great fish.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think 6-8 cichlids, even small ones, in a 29 gallon tank is not a good idea. Depending on what type you get they get aggressive really quickly and in a small tank it will cause a lot of problems.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I've changed my mind. I'm going to get 4 cichilds, 5 tops. The ones I have now are a red zebra and a fuelleborni. I am looking now to get an electric yellow and a kenyi.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Red Zebra, Labeotropheus Fuelleborni and Kenyi are all very aggressive fish.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i am aware of that. the zebra has been acting very agressively, but the hiding spaces I have provided give the fuellborni-which has not been acting aggresive at all-its space.

13. buzz4520

when you go to add new fish here is something that'll help out on the introductiion of the new fish (i do this with mine and it helps..imo), just before the new fish are ready to go into the tank, change up the decor a bit put the fish in turn off lights and cover up the tank and make it as dark as you can and leave it like this say over night. with this "confusion" your older fish may not be as aggressive towards the new one(s). i just figured i would just pass this bit of info to you. i think you'll really like these fish, they have a very unique attitude & personality for a fish of their size, i think that's why i like them as much as i do.

14. damnsneakyasian

damnsneakyasian New Member

i have 10 Red Zebras albino strain in a 55 and they need a bigger tank. Way bigger IMO. 75 is what im shooting for but looking for a 100. I did have a female hold and now she is holding again so its not like its a warzone in there. whenever i do water changes i redo the rock work to open up more caves for the females to hide in.

in a 29gallon with 4 cichlids will be a 29 with one cichlid IMO. If your getting a bigger tank try to get a 75 gallon min.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

if i get two red zebras will it calm their aggression or double it?

( i need information about the fish i have, not the tank i will get. but thanks anyway)

16. buzz4520

if you get two that are male then there might be a great deal of aggression, with some of these, males of the same spieces don't get along. if the one you've got all ready is a female and you don't want to breed then i would go for 2 more females.

17. buzz4520

i don't know if this will hlep much but here is what i got in my 55 tank:
    yellow lab
    Hemichromis bimaculatus
    Pseudotropheus socolofi
    Pseudotropheus crabro
    Metriaclima estherae
    Nimbochromis venutus
    Iodotropheus sprengerae
    2 i haven't got positive id's yet
    1 - 6 inch pleco

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the red zebra I have now is a vibrant orange with a hint of blue at the anal fin. thats all ive got as far has sexing

19. buzz4520

if the end of the dorsal fin is more of a point then it's a male, female dorsal fins are more rounded.

20. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

You won't know the sex of them when they're small even looking at their dorsal fin. You're also asking for a lot of problems with this tank. In such a small tank rearranging the rocks will not help much at all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.