1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

29 gallon Malawi stocking?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What did you end up putting in the tank ?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

First, yellowcichlid and anyone who wants to say anything critical: I do a lot of research before I make a decision and I do not want your criticism if it isn't constructive.
    Second, I have just bought a small bumblebee and am hoping to get an electric yellow and a kenyi soon. I was gonna buy another Red Zebra today but somebody got to it before me. That doesn't mean I will only get a pair of RZ's, I just want to get a pair of one species.

What I Have Now:
    Red Zebra
    Fuelleborni
    Bumblebee

What I Want In My Completed Tank(as of now):
    Fuelleborni
    Red Zebra
    Bumblebee
    Electric Yellow
    Kenyi

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

nice list you got there. my bumblebee is the biggest african i have, but is not the boss, the socolofi is.

4. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

Don't think of it as criticism, think of it as benefitting from the experiences of others, which is, after all, the reason we come to these forums. Saves money and aggravation.

I have kept a malawi setup in my 40-gallon breeder, which has a pretty big footprint, and it ended pretty much in disaster, as many could have predicted. I had MUCH better luck with a Tang single-species setup in that tank, which I did with two different species at two different times, with great success. You could probably do a yellow lab species setup in that, or a pair of Tang cichlids.

The species you want to keep in the 29, by nature, maintain a territory in the wild that is way, way bigger than what we try to provide them. I know these are likely tank-bred fish but there are behaviors that are hard wired.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

by keeping a tank a little overstocked it doesn't allow for the fish to maintain a territory, and therefore reduces aggression. I have seen this technique used I've read on other sites and forums and it was successful. and keep in mind that the fish I have now are small, and I might upgrade to a 55 in couple of months.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

TheSimster let me first say that YellowCichlid was not being critical. What he said is 100% true. We all only want you to be aware of the problems you're asking for with putting 6-8" fish into a 29 gallon tank, overstocked or not. These fish are aggressive by nature and even in large tanks they get into fights. Overstocking a tank that's too small for the fish to begin with will not reduce aggression. You will NEED to upgrade the tank in a few months, if you do not you will begin to lose fish due to aggression, especially with the fish you have chosen.

African's aren't pairing fish. You need one male to several females.

7. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I don't appreciate the attitude you seem to have TheSimester. All I have to say is you were warned by several of us :roll:

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the problem with forums is that people get so sidetracked by what they wish to contribute, they forget about the original questions. never once did i ask if my tank was too small, or if i should get a bigger tank. I didnt ask if you appreciated my attitude either. I told you, I do my research before I make a decision and I have had enough people, who I know and trust, tell me what I'm doing is fine. when people ask a question, it is usually because they want an answer to THAT question. if i was worried that my tank was too small i would have asked about that.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You asked for stocking suggestions for a 29 gallon tank. Nothing anyone has said has not been directly related to that.

Clearly you didn't research before making your decisions because they will not work in your size tank, period.

Thread locked.

TheSimester: Leave the attitude from now on. I will not deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.