1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

30g Long Stocking/Compatibility:Leslie (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Leslie, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: 30 gallonn long ideas

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=65</a>
    This article has several different pictures of them, although most of the ones that I have seen are not as colorful as the African Cichlids, there are several different varieties and colors available.

2. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

yeah i am kinda loooking for a brightly colored fish. it has to appeal to my kids

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have tanks of guppies in my 2 older kids rooms (8&9), they breed very easy, and the kids love finding the babies. My youngest (3-1/2) is facinated with the cichlids which he says are "boooo-T-fulllll" and will also stand and watch the weather loach forever when he is swimming around.

4. Leslie

I am thinking a few neons, maybe some tiger bards. is there any sharks that i can put in there?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

No sharks, maybe endlers are more your speed haha, get you a big ole school of neons and a couple more corys.

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree. Not much colorful and small in the freshwater world. Maybe try your hand at a little saltwater tank for the color. Get a clownfish or something <-- not a saltwater person so dont take me on this

That is why I have discus as they are colorful (almost moreso than salt-fish) and hard to keep making a challenge (although they are not as hard as many make them out to be)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Here's a list of some easy to care for brighter Freshwater fish:
    **Note:most fish look twice as good in a large school, but be sure to look up which ones are compatible first IF your planning on mixing species**
    African Cichlids (Electric Yellow, Electric Orange, Electric Blue, Red Jewel, peacocks, Yellow Auratus, Orange Blossom, etc.)
    Pseudotropheus demasoni--Malawi, but I kept one with my africans
    Kribensis Dwarf Cichlid
    Double Full Red Cockatoo Cichlid
    Ram (Bolivian,Blue, gold)
    Fantail Guppies (stick with males, unless you want tons of little ones)
    Swordtails (lyretails, koi, Red, Pineapple, marigold mickey mouse)
    Platys/MoonsHi-fins are gorgeous! (hi-fins, red wags, sunsets, gold twin bar)
    Ballon Mollies are interesting & come in assort colors such as orng,blk,wht,dalm.
    Sailfin Mollies also come in assorted colors but are larger
    Neon or Cardinal Tetras
    Black Skirt Tetras & White Tetras & Diamond Tetras really stand out in a crowd!
    Golden White Cloud
    Dwarf Gouramis -males=best colors (Flame, neon blue, powder blue, paradise)
    Rainbow fish as Anthony suggested (saw @ lfs & really nice show piece fish)
    Barb (Rosy, Denison, Albino)
    Badis (Scarlet Gem)
    Peacock Gudgeon
    Ruby Red Pencilfish
    Shrimp (Cherry, Bamboo, etc)
    Lobster (Cobalt Blue, White)
    Snail (Golden Apple, Malaysian trumpet snails--tiny, but neat )
    Male Betta (Crowntails are really pretty:you'll need a divider for more than 1)
    Ryukin Goldfish
    Corydoras (albino, peppered)
    Gold Algae Eater
    Loricaria Cat (for that something different)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ps. most of the ones I listed I'm pretty sure can be looked up on LiveAquaria, if you can't find them there theirs always google images. :eek:)
    ~Good Luck, I know how difficult it can sometimes be pleasing the kids with the fish THEY want. What I did when mine were younger is... I would narrow the list of possible down & then show them the picts of the ones that were okay to get/compatible. That way I saved the headache of one wanting something that wasn't compatible with what the other one wanted!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Why not just take your kids to petsmart or wal mart and let them pick them out, theres no reason to look at the ones all over the internet if you cant order them, no reason to tease yourself lol!

10. Leslie

Dos anyone know about any of these fish?

Dos anyone know about any of these fish?

I was at a pet store today and i saw some fish that i knew nothing about,

first they had a freshwater flownder, i have never heard or even seen this fish anywhere and i wanted to know if it really was freshwater. also they had these frogs they were called jelly bean frogs and i didnt know if they were the ones they get colored or if they were natural. and they had some fish that were like green, blue, yellow. I have no clue to any of these fish so if anyone can help me please do.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Dos anyone know about any of these fish?

Yes, there is a freshwater flounder.

I've never heard of "Jelly bean frogs" but they are probably dyed, so avoid them.

The fish that were green blue and yellow may have been Parrot Cichlids which are commonly dyed as well.

12. Leslie

I didnt know there was freshwater flounders!! thats so cool. now i need to look online to see if i can keep one in my 30 gal. or do you know.
    As far as the frogs i figured they were dyed, and the fish i dont think they were cichlids, i think they were danios (sp). but i do think they were dyed.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Actually they're slightly brackish.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

"Jelly Bean" often times means dyed.

15. Leslie

Yes I just read that!!!!!! And knowing that I may just do a brackish tank so i can get my bumble bee goby!!! and maybe a puffer!!!! that just makes my day!! I have been wanting my bumble bee for a while and i didnt want to just get it and nothing else!!

16. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I've seen the flounders before and they're pretty cool

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I love bumble gobys! yeah, if the frog or fish looks like its plastic its usually dyed. The danios are the fish with the jellyfish genes in them.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

The jelly bean frog is an albino clawed frog that has been in colored water that has been absorbed into the skin. Research the albino clawed frog-same thing. These frogs will eat anything they can put in their mouths--definately wouldn't keep them with fish!!! This includes them eating substrates such as gravel/pebbles.

19. Leslie

I need some help

I need some help

Okay, to day i went to a fish store that i had been trying to find forever now. and OMG!!!! They had the biggest selection of fresh and salt water fish i have ever seen!! I spent like over a hour in there!! but anyways. i seen some fish there that i really liked and was woundering if anyone knew anything about them.

leporinus fasciatus, whiptail catfish, otocincluus catfish, wite coud mountain (sp, may not even be right), werneri banjo catfush, flame von rio tetra queen dario botia gold hiney gourami. let me know if anyone knows abut any of them.

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: I need some help

Would not call myself a pro by any means with them,

Great fish, best in groups and are not often seen in the daytime. They eat ONLY algae so this must be kept in mind if you have a spotless tank.

I keep them in the following parameters and they seem to be good:
    PH 6.5
    Temp 86
    Soft Water - Very Soft Water

Again that seems to work for me, I was told when I inquired on the board about them that they are fragile fish.... I personally have not seen that but again I do keep discus (the prima-donas)....

I am satisfied with them as they make a nice addition to my clean-up crew (Otto Cats - eat algae growth, and Cory Cats - eat leftovers)