1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

35 Gallon Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by jasonG, May 26, 2010.

1. jasonG

jasonG Thread Starter New Member

Once my 55gal is stable and running the way I want it to I am going to finally begin my adventure with Cichlids. I have always loved these fish but never had an "extra" tank just for them.

So now I have a 35 gal BAREBONES... Just the tank

I am not sure I want to go "planted" since my 55 has given me so much grief so I am probably going to go artifical except for maybe 2-3 2 Anacharis since they are SOOO easy.

Also I am not sure if I want to go with sand or gravel.
    I will have some very nice rockscapes and a lot of it.
    But I want my center peice to be,.......WAIT FOR IT......A Firemouth

So I dont have a pump/filter but I would like to go with some sort of submersible power head type filter.

ANYTHING and everything will be greatly appreciated..

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Firemouths can be diggers so I would go with sand. You are going to have a heck of a time keeping ANY plants with cichlids, and just remember that seeing as how a firemouth is a CA cichlid you won't be able to keep any Africans with it. Personally I would recommend you go with some of the African Riverine cichlids such as Jewels in a 35 that can be kinda small for fish that need territories or problems will ensue.

3. jasonG

OK sounds fair... I perfer Afican anyways..

I want a lot of color, since I am new to Cichlids (other than Oscars) could you help with a stocking list? I really perfer small so that I can have more.

4. HBIC

Well for color mbuna are the best way to go but I wouldn't suggest mbuna in a 35, they need right much space. In that size tank you could make an awesome shelldweller tank. Take a look at some of the shelldweller species from Lake Tanganyika.

5. jasonG

Well what about 2 of each of these, the size chart says 8cm which is 3inches?

Blue johanni
    Kingsizei
    freiberg Mbuna

But honestly I love the Demason's Cichlid if I could have a tank with nothing but THEM I would be cool with that.

Also with a Cichlid tank can you use Ottos or Plecos?

6. HBIC

I would worry about the ottos getting eaten and cichlids love to eat the eyes of many plecs. I am not for sure about the species you listed I will do some researching and find out for you tonight after work though.

7. jasonG

OK thanks

About the Ottos and plecos. Then what do you to keep the tank clean for Cichlids?

8. nossie

nossie Member

The cichlids pretty much enjoy digging in the substrate for food themselves... so maybe you could try for a while with them only? If it gets too dirty, you could try looking up some African catfish to stick to the theme! ;D

9. jasonG

Well like I said before this is something I am thinking about with my 35gal....would gravel be better than sand for these fellows? I can do gravel just as easy as sand.

10. nossie

nossie Member

Choose whatever you want! :D But if you want gravel, make sure it's round and smooth so your fish won't hurt their lips :)

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

This is a dwarf Mbuna, and as such, can be housed in tanks not usually recommended for Mbuna species. A 36-inch tank will suffice, but as with all Mbuna, bigger is always better. In the wild, these fish are found together in extremely large groups swimming in and amongst rocky habitats. Surprisingly, members of these groups show very little aggression towards one another.
    a minimum of twelve should be kept in any size tank to help disperse aggression. This not only keeps a single male from being dominant over all others, it helps females and sub-dominant males from being chased to exhaustion (and death) by getting "lost in the crowd". A small group of 5 or 6 simply will not work, as the dominant male will systematically kill off each tank mate until only he remains. Male to female ratio is unimportant when they're kept in groups of this size, which is a bonus, because accurately determining their gender can be a futile task. It's very important not to house these fish with similarly colored species (e.g., Cynotilapia afra or Metrialclima lombardoi).

ottos...i agree with HBIC and not do them with african cichlids. i have a common pleco in my 55g mixed african, when smaller he did get picked on some and now that he's approx 8in he holds his own. with a tank of your size you may want to check into the synodontis species of african catfish.

2 of each of these in a 35g, imo, would be a disaster in the making, too much aggression.

12. jasonG

I am coming back to this thread because I have been approved to set this up on my granite counter top in the kitchen. ( I will take pics of the area)

I saw some setups on another site where the person used crushed coral. This would go against "make sure it's round and smooth so your fish won't hurt their lips"

I would like the look of crushed coral but would that be OK with Cichlids?

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Crushed coral is 100% fine for cichlids. I always used it with mine to help buffer the water and keep the ph up.

14. nossie

nossie Member

Yeah, cichlids need rather alkaline and hard water as far as I know *nod*
    But... is crushed corals sharp? On pictures I've seen it somehow looks kinda' smooth?

15. jasonG

OK so I have came up with my stocking list..

either 6 of these Multi-Bar Lamprologus or 6 of these Neolamprologus similis (shellies)

4 of these Julidochromis regani (Striped-Yellow)Julie

2 of these Neolamprologus caudopunctatus (Caudopunk) or Checkerboard Tail Lamprologus

One side of the tank will have the Rocky Caves and the other side I will use Whales eye shells for the Shellies.

THOUGHTS?

Substrate will be sand for the shellies

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think I'd go with the Neolamprologus similis.

17. jasonG

Guys I got to thinking....(WATCH OUT) I know that there might be a slight pH difference. But I love African Butterfly Fish and I was thinking since I wont have any fish swimming middle to high that MAYBE I could get 1 or 2....

THOUGHTS?

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's a pretty big difference there. The Neolamprologus similis should be at around 8.0 and the Butterfly Fish around 6.5. If you do pH of about 7.5ish that should be fine though. Just make sure to drip acclimate them slowly depending on what pH they come from.