1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40 Gallon Dwarf Livebearer Tank-- Planted

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

(I hope this goes here XD)

Due to a recent disaster in my tanks, I had to restock on plants. I went to Pet Land and Pet Co., and was surprised to find a few nice plants for a decent price. I don't normally trust fish stores, but I figured the plants would be on to give a shot.

I bought a few and brought them home. After 4 days of quarantine I finally decided they were safe to place into the tanks. (I got two new Trumpet Snails as stowaways =D )

So, after doing a little work on ye' old 40 gallon I finally got them in. And since no one got in my way, the fish got a nice treat of blood worms =3 (The shrimp liked them more, but the few fish big enough to eat them had a nice time too)

I may keep an "up-to-date" record of how well these plants do. Wish me luck guys ^^; Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

A few images of the plants (and fish) -- Sorry you can see my reflection >.>;
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_100B0241.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_100B0330.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_100_0342.jpg

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Looks good for having to start over. Sometime you can find deals on plants at those type of shops.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looks good...

4. MasterBlue

Going to add better lighting when the money comes my way. Prolly just add 3 100 wats and put them one the back and two sides of the tank for now.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have a tank like that. 3 clip on work lights with 100 watt Daylight CF bulbs. Working grest the plants love it.

6. MasterBlue

Well, plants growth is a bit slower than I expected (talking about the ninja grass, lol) But I'm seeing that it's growing some... but the shrimp like the new leaves XD

I bought some Microworms to feed my fish. Tomorrow I've got a few things to do, then my Mom's wedding. Two days of work, then 3 days off. I plan on getting my room really organized... More organized, more tanks! lol! New tanks, more fish, less money and a happier me =D

I'll take another image of the tank, maybe show off the blue cray? He's getting really fussy in the breeder box tho XD

Well, night everyone! Happy Easter and what not!

7. MasterBlue

--Update--
    Plants got a little rearranged. I've decided to remove my fish in a few weeks and sort out the ones I want from the batch. The fish without color and the aggressive ones for start. Then the over population of males. While doing that I want to remove most of the gravel and replace it with sand. Either Black or natural. I'm also thinking of adding some Micro Sword and Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia). Any other plant suggestions?

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Look into the NPT. You use potting soil with a cover of gravel. My plants in those tanks are taking off like wildfire. The Ecology of a Planted Aquarium by Diane Walsted is a great book on it.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if they need a kick in the pants try flourish tabs inserted in the substrate about 1" - 2" inches from the roots...
    Flourish Excel (liquid co2) works really well too!
    For any that have red color to them...they typically require an iron source such as flourish iron in addition to high light..so be sure to place them where you get the most light.

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I wouldn't suggest Excel with the anacharis it may melt it, I would stick with regular flourish.

11. MasterBlue

o.o; Melt?

My problem is the fact My ligt isn't bright enough.... Sure, I can see everything, but I really want a light that is bright and lets the plants grow. I've gotten a 100 watt work light shining on the plants now, which is helping out big time!
    My water is kinnda high in Iron already =P It's actually high in like everything!

12. HBIC

Go to wal mart and by the 48" shop lights, there will be some overhang but you will be able to grow A LOT with them.

13. MasterBlue

lol, thats what I have =P

14. HBIC

That should be giving you near 2 watts per gallon plenty of light for most plants.

15. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Put on 2 clamp on work light and use 100 watt CF daylight bulbs. I have 3 of them on my 55 gal ond the plants are growing like weeds (except for the Jave fern!) Java moss is growing and the stem plant leaves are growing in 2x the size as when I got them.

What kind of dechlorinator do you use? You may have to find one that is a heavy remover or get a RO system going. You may have too many metals in the water.

16. MasterBlue

I don't use one.
    I have well water, it's filtered fro large particles only. No chemicals.
    It is the same natural water that the Dwarf's come from, so It's perfect for there tank. (Although they could adapt to anything, I wanted the tank to simulate there natural water... I am thinking of working on keeping the water in a normal fish tank range sooner or later, but for now the fist are still doing great, the shrimp are fine, and the only ones suffering are the snails. I can't seem to get enough calcium to them, but that's just a dietary thing, nothing to do with the water! lol)

17. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Have you had the water tested? Sometime well water is high in metals contaminates with well affect plants. Sometimes even well water need to be conditioned. The water can be drawing from the stone or the mechanics of the well. I'm sure some kind of metal is used to draw the water from the well into your house.

18. MasterBlue

Yep. Only tested for mid Iron. But that's not the problem with my plants, I just want more short ones. All I have are tall, background ones XD

19. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

then you need to get smaller species, also shut the room lights off when you take apic of the tank, let the tank light be the light for the pic, reflections disappear and pics are ALOT clearer.

You need some crypts and stuff, the smaller ones, mine are maybe 2" tall and about 4" around now.

20. MasterBlue

lol, they are off =P
    But the other two tanks are still on, guess I can turn them off, eh?

And thats what I was asking XD What other plants SHOULD I get. I need some with a little salt tolerance.