1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40 Gallon Dwarf Livebearer Tank-- Planted

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

In light of current plans I've decided to sell these fish off and make a divided tank, with actual sheets of glass in between the sections. The way it'll look:
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_100_0963.jpg
    boxs at the top are filters, everything else is pretty easy to guess...

2. MasterBlue

Placed glass in tank and sealed into place. I just hope it don't kill anything >.>; I used GE Silicone I, but it said Mildew Resistant

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Mildew resistant GE silicone I ? I've never seen it. I'll be more observant the next time I need to get some.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh wow, you don't want to use that silicone on your tank.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

It does sound like a disaster waiting to happen! Lots of leeching chemicals.

6. nossie

nossie Member

It depends on the plants how much light they need as well! :D

But dude, this looks good! And please get yourself some hornwort, I love hornwort! C: I just couldn't possibly keep it alive in a tank of six goldfish :'c if it only was possible, I'd have tons of it already :'c

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I warned ya via pm beforehand about making sure anti-mildew wasn't anywhere on the product and linked you to the previous discussion. I agree with the others, looking at leeching and killing the fish.

Fish Tank Sealant

Questions Regarding Silicone Use on Aquarium

8. MasterBlue

I filled with water and will now wait to see if it kills the snails and shrimp I placed into water.
    Also added plants.

MTS, Most of my Ramshorns and some random plants.
    I'll give it like 3 days. Anyone dies I'll strip the tank =P

After 2 hours I'm not seeing a problem as of yet. But it's still early.
    Running a filter for only one compartment. The others are just filled with water and stocked with 2 or snails and a few shrimp. Figured that it would be better to use the more sensitive of my critters.

9. MasterBlue

Either way, GE silicone I and II are both Anti-Mildew...
    I used I

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

GE Silicone I and II may both come in Anti-Mildew but they are not ALL Anti-Mildew. You only want 100% silicone.

11. MasterBlue

meh... Well darn. What'll happen ya think?
    Added my Triops to the tank too. If She died tonight then I Know for certain that the chemicals will kill everything else. I'll remove them then. For now, at least it all looks good! XD

On a side not, how do you remove the caulk? Razor blade and a bit of mineral oil?

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Just the razor you do not need any oils in your water.

13. MasterBlue

lol, thanx.
    I'll give y'all the report in the morning I guess.
    At least the stuff isn't hard to undo. I used only enough to hold it in place and keeping fry from jumping the gap. What ever else happens happens.

If nothing dies, I'll start to stock the tanks. I may add some green water and get a few water fleas to test further conditions first. I do want my tank's safe for fish, but I don't wanna undo this unless I gotta XD lol

It's too much of a challenge to get some one to come help me move the tank every time I need to.

14. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

It may take up to 2 weeks for the leeching levels to reach a killing point. I know from experience. I would not attempt it.

15. MasterBlue

Triops died.
    Missing a fish.
    Everything else seems a-o-k, but I'll undo it all tuesday and get better caulk. Next day off I'll do a proper (and neater) job, just because I'm worried now.

Where could that fish have gone? o.o;

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

filter, in someone else's belly, on the floor (hopped out).

17. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Sounds like me when my inverts died and everything else lived. What kind of fish is missing? Another mystery of a missing fish! (they show up all dried up a month later on the floor) LOL

18. MasterBlue

No one to eat him. He was in a compartment alone. Also I have a glass lid on this one. No way to jump out.

And there is no filter in his box either o.o;
    One of my Least Killies. I just grabbed 4 at random and tossed them into the tank's separated boxes.

19. MasterBlue

Today's report.
    Compartment one, which has sand, plants a rock, 2 shrimp, 2 fish, and 2 MTS with a filter: Only one died, a Triops, conclusion is water temperature, it was rather cold (no heater).
    Compartments two and three had one fish, one shrimp and one MTS : Both fish have died. Shrimps are still doing well.

I'll remove the survivors and place them into a QT tank to prevent them for poisoning the rest of my stock (esp since I'm selling the other guys)

Tomorrow I'll be removing the caulk and wednesday I'll be adding newer, safer* caulk. Or so I hope ...

I've go no reason to be in a hurry, After all, I don't rave anything to actually put in these tanks any time soon

20. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

patience is really needed in this hobby or we lose our most beloved pets due to our negligence and impatience.