1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40 Gallon Dwarf Livebearer Tank-- Planted

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

Everyone was removed, but the fish are looking sick now. I think shock from one tank to the next to the next.
    Shrimp are looking really good still.
    Snails seem to have all died.

Drained tank and will start to remove the sealant tomorrow morning.

2. MasterBlue

everything is dead but the shrimp. Interestingly a dead fish made a drop. 3 fry, all healthy.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

just curious, but what did the water test at? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH).

4. MasterBlue

Never tested the tank. Be honest I never test mine. Unless there is a problem that I can't solve my own.
    My water is natural well water, high in alot of things. So, I use plants to make the balance. Normally neutral PH (range of 6.1-7.6), high in Iron, little to no copper. All I can tell you.

Which is why I'm normally stuck with the anacoris. the stuff thrives in any and all tanks, and mine is in need of something to remove the minerals from the tank that the fish don't use.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

You really need to check the tanks during cycling. Plants help but water changes are very important if your cycling with fish. Even though you do not have chlorine a water conditioners helps alot removing "alot of Things". Some wells have higher metals which can be removed by simply adding conditioners. Well water is not always so natural. It depends on what material were used building the well and pump for the well and what rock is in the ground.

6. MasterBlue

oh, lol, I use a chlorinatior and do weekly water changes. Some times 2 a week if I have the time.
    Normally the cycle process takes close to 3 hours for my tanks. cloudy then crystal clear. IF I can keep the water changes up it doesn't get unhealthy. I do have tests to make sure, but if it isn't hurting the fish I'm not concerned, (reminds me, I've gotta make a new micro worm colony since my old ones is half dead

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I do weekly on tanks that are already cycled. when cycling I did 20-25% daily for the first month then every other day till ammonia at 0 then I started every week. Anywhere from 6 to 12 week process. My tanks stayed healthy and never lost one fish. Just because it's clear dose not mean it's cycled. Ammonia can still be present. Looks may be deceiving.

8. MasterBlue

just tested all tanks.
    ammonia is a good range for the Hybrid tank and the Black Bar tank. Tiger tank is in the moderate range...

I think I'll invest some money into better kits one of these days. Ones that aren't just a range and actually give me an answer, lol

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Just to reiterate what was said above. The process of cycling a tank is NOT the process of simply running your tank water through filters until it becomes clear. When "cycling" is mentioned it's referring to the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia is converted into Nitrites which are then converted into less toxic Nitrates.

ANY ammonia in your tank is not good for the fish/inverts at all.

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

If there is ammonia it's still cycling.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you need to be concerned with the water parameter and really need to test that water.
    2nd Anthony's remark about cycling (it won't happen in 3 hours, unless you're using something like safestart--which I know you're not).
    Here's what you want:
    • 0 ammonia
    • 0 nitrite
    • 40ppm or less (as low as possible-lower through water change) nitrate
    • stability is moreso key for the Ph, rather than actual numbers.
    • (But keep in mind acidic 6.0 is moreso discus and tetras in general, 7.0 is your tropicals like the livebearers -- such as what you keep...fish can be acclimated to a different Ph and prosper= key is to do it slowly).
    • 0.05ppm or less for Phosphates (as low as possible if you don't want algae...products to lower/remove can be found- ie. phosphate removing filter pads, water changes will bring them down, and be sure to check the type of food you're feeding as some flakes will include it as a preservative)

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what about a court jester goby, or maybe a 3 lined cardinal fish, or even a Yellowtail Demoiselle ?

13. MasterBlue

Well, dumping the tiger tank and cleaning it out.
    When I get paid friday I'll try to get tests that actually give me more than three ranges >.>;
    I still won't likely test as often, but can if I need to I guess.

14. MasterBlue

Swapping gears one me, lol?

15. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Hey it's Dawn what do you expect. LOL

16. MasterBlue

lol, why I love you guys =D

17. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

We're just a bunch of kooks. That's why you love us! Remember you're one of "us". LOL

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, that's what happens when you multi-tab.
    NOOooo saltys for Jonathan...you have your hands full already with the freshys.
    my bad.

19. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Oh please no salties! We'd never get him to sleep.

20. MasterBlue

XD I'm not even going to think about my life with a salt tank o.o;

Poor fish o.o;

Tho, once I get my own place and enough room, I plan on breeding sea horses, lol.
    I know what a head ach I'm in for too! But it'll be something fun to do =3 (I'll take better care of them then, since I won't be limited to what I have now)