1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40 Gallon Dwarf Livebearer Tank-- Planted

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

If you don't even check freshwater what are you going to do with a saltwater where you need to check constantly! Seahorses are hard to keep alive let alone breed. I had them in the 70's and was only able to keep 1 alive for about 2 year. Believe me it was quite a bit of work.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I'm living on a thin line at my house. With my current set-up I don't need to test often. Once the tank is running right it's fine.

But, once I get my own place (10 years or so at this rate! lol) I'll have the money and time to invest in the real tanks. These are just to keep me occupied so I don't kill myself from the monotony of my dull life.

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Understand that one!

4. nossie

nossie Member

Aww :C

I don't usually test my water either, maybe once every 2 weeks or so once the tank is cycled. Or if my fish are acting in any way differently, but that's it! I don't think you need to test yourself to death if it's not needed, besides, it's a waste of reagent d:

5. MasterBlue

So how do you guys feel about sponge filters?
    How Do I set one up?

I'm asking since the divided tank (now properly put together) is tall and any of the filters I already own will cause too strong a current for the poor fish, so I'm looking for better filtration.

It's filled up and got one plant in each part, some snails, and about to add the sand. Fish to be added once the filter problems are figured out...

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

prefilter over the intake.

7. MasterBlue

No, it's the out put thats causing the trouble.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what type of filter is it?
    prefilter slightly decreases the output and if fine enough prevents fish from being sucked into the intake.

9. MasterBlue

Well, any of the filters I have do this, since they are tall and narrow tanks now.
    The one in there is a whisper for 10 gallons. It's just so the water gets to circulate some.

I don't think you quite understand what I'm asking about Dawn ...

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

well common sense tells me if the current created by the filter is too strong then you either adjust the flow using the flow control (if the filter has one), or you stick a prefilter over the intake to decrease the water being returned to the tank via the filter.

Even if the tank is tall, imo theirs no way a 10g filter would create too much flow for a 40gallon tank.

and sponge filters can always be used in any size tank...as long as you get the appropriate size and an adequate performing airpump for them.

11. MasterBlue

I've divided this tank into three parts, each has a glass sheet keeping it separate.
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_100_0969.jpg

Mind you the filter in there is only for a short time.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

assuming that's solid glass and no holes for circulation or air to get through then you're gonna need heaters for each section and filters for each section...and then there's the partials that will need to be done on each section (which is the reason I wanted at least the middle one outta my 20L).

Doesn't sound like fun to me, but the 10g filters should be fine and if you still think they are too strong then prefilter the intake as I said earlier...that or get yourself 3 sponge filters and a really good airpump (can use "t's" to split the airline into 3...a gangvalve...or simply a airpump that has 3 air outlets).

13. MasterBlue

I enjoy doing the partials on the tanks, =3
    There are a FEW tiny holes in the seals, but they aren't large enough to actually promote a very balanced temp.. Which is fine.

So Just plug the air lines in and let them go? Does the tube need to reach the surface?

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sponge filters are pretty nice. I always but the largest one I can fit in the tank. I never trust their judgment on how many gallons a sponge filter can support. Use a sponge filter and a powerhead, A+ filtration. I used that in my Endler tank that's still in Vermont and it worked GREAT.