1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40g Discus setup (Information & Advice)

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Anonymous, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would like to turn my 40g tall tank into a discus tank, this is my opportunity to redo the whole tank so I want to do it right. I am curious about everything, substrate, water parameters, breeding conditions, tank mates, where I can get a breeding pair, basically anything and everything I need to know. I can tell you that I will be using a Hot magnum filter, and am currently looking for a t5 hood. Thanks for any and all help!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Discus tank help

I'll let a Discus keeper answer this for ya :D

One thing I can think of off had is that your water needs to be soft ;)

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

depends on the discus i sugget the discus hans discus can be kept in 7.0 water.
    If you are looking for a breeding pairright off the bat his discus are the ones ya want gonna cost ya an arm and a leg down and a toe every other week.

Now if ya aint rolling in the money i suggest you get 6 , 2.5 inch discus and grow them out <6 equals better chance of getting a pair>

At 2.5 inches be perpared to do 2 WC a week of 75% water and feed 3-4 times a day and i suggest bare bottom tank till they get about 4.5 to 5 inches.

If this is your first time at discus i also suggest alot of reading simply discus forums is a good place to start and if you go to Discus hans usa he has links to all of his distrubtors.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

ok i got to ask whats happening come on it only takes the thought of getting Discus to turn anyone into a junkie....yes can be hard at first but after a few weeks becomes easy aslong as you start out right.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am not sure I understand what your asking?

6. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

He wants to know what made you think of starting up a discus tank. I've thought about it, they are colorful and unusual. I've never seen any at any of the LFS around here though.

7. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

hi, also make sure you have a good heater. discus do well 88 - 92 degrees

8. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

wow, that's warm ... I'd swim in that!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well, here is the deal, if you want to have a breeding pair you have to put them alone with no other fish. Including no sand, no gravel, just clean. And you have to have a filter that will not make strong currents, otherwise it will suck the eggs into the filter. Once the female have the eggs, take the male out because it will eat the eggs. And once the eggs hatched, you have to take the mother out before she eats them. And keep a really low current on the tank.

Here is another thing, a 40 gallon is a small tank for discus, because they grow big. So, if I were you I will not put more than 4 of them on that tank. Just for your fish to be healthy and happy with some room to go around. The hard part about discus is that you need to have your water with low PH 5.5 up to 6.5 is the ideal. So, just use peat on your filter and it will help you with your PH.

If you have any ???, feel free to let me know. I will do my best to help you. :p

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

sorry to hijack but that is old school on discus that end of the hobby has come a long way i have breeding discus in 7.0-7.2 ph water and have gotten fry and grown them out and the temp of the tank is 82 degrees.
    Like adult Angels it is recommended 10 gals. per fish but if looking for a pair 6 ,2.5 inch discus would be fine and yes bare bottom is good because of the feedings and cleaning for growing them out when they get 5-7 inches and with luck pair off then either move the pair or the remaining discus to another tank.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My discus (only one as of now) is doing perfect in a tank with FIGI water, and NO chemicals..lives with a really huge knife fish, 2 angels, 3 silver dollars, 1 golden dojo, 2 clown fish, 1 freshwater stingray,1 common eel,adn a crawfish! temp is around 84 at all times never above 88, never below 80..everyone is healthy happy eating well. I also used figi water when I had a discus tank with 14 of them, we seperated a breeding pair out (back in the 80's when I could afford a pro to help)..the mom NEVER ate the fry..luck?? overfeeding?? don't know trial and error..I am back to using only figi water for all my tanks and have noticed a difference in all! Only had to seperate 2 angels today..the make was fighting the female, and tore a bit of her"lip"..she is watching over just out fry..not sure why or what is going on will be posting a ?> here!