1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

45g lighting suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by unicyclemike, Jun 9, 2009.

1. unicyclemike

unicyclemike Thread Starter New Member

I have a 45 gallon tank I want to turn into a planted tank. I'm not sure what light to get or how many watts. The tank is 36x12x24(LxWxH). I am willing to spend $100 - $200 on the light.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3. unicyclemike

The first one is what I have been looking at. I have been looking at moderate light plants. I didn't know if I would need the 96w (2.1wpg) or the double 192w (4.2wpg) because the tank in 24 inches tall.

Mike

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I would say the 90w should do the trick, but double check.
    Imo the 4.2 would be algae haven being that would be on the HIGH end.

I run 2.88wpg on my 90 and i can grow moderates without issue...and a few high ones too and it's also 24" high.

I had the coralife > http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...-18369##0##8&query=260watt+48&hits=12&offset=

BUT the fans went on it in less than 6 months so I swapped it out for a cheaper catalina version I scored on Ebay. Catalina's didn't have the fans or the plexi-glass that shields the bulbs.

5. unicyclemike

I just got the 96w in the mail yesterday. Now all I need is substrate and plants.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Eco-Complete for substrate and start with crypts