1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

55 Long Planted Community

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by joegti10, Dec 26, 2010.

1. joegti10

joegti10 Thread Starter New Member

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice little website.

3. joegti10

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

So, what all are you keeping in the 55g (by the way you have some nice looking specimens in the photos).

5. joegti10

heres a nice listing of my stock

http://www.myglassbox.com/inhabitants/

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd do a bigger group on the corys..it's great seeing them travel in packs!
    24K molly, don't think I've seen one of those personally yet. Pretty looking though!

I think your about the first person with a large'ish tank that doesn't have it crammed full of everything...lol!

7. joegti10

Its not crammed full of everything YET. My variable platy gave birth to about 50 fry a few months ago in a different tank setup. The rosy barbs ate all of them except one. Half of the fish in this tank are pretty new, 3 of the mickey mouse platys are preggo. Next time i have a fry drop (which will be soon) theres a lot more hiding places than i had first time around and i expect a high survival rate.

I like stopping in the LPS and picking up a trio of fish every here and again.

Glad you all like the website.

8. joegti10

So, its been 6 months since the start of this post...time for some new pics.

Also as a little bit of a background....the fry i foolishly set free when they were way too small and they all got eaten except one. That fry is now a juvi and i believe is preggo, she is in pics #1. The adult has since had another drop at some point about 2 months ago and 1 survived...its another female and shes starting to mingle in the party. She is in pic #2. The adult is about to drop again.

Had a couple random deaths in the tank, water quality is good...nothing to get worked up about. Pretty much my original batch of fish i stared this tank are still alive just about 1 year into it.

Found a dead mickey mouse platy recently, scooped it out and flushed. Today i find a few very new beet red fry (pic #3) in the hiding spot i made....thinking mother died giving birth.

Anyways...heres some pics.

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_2_14.jpg

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_2a.jpg

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_3_13.jpg

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_7_3.jpg

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_6_3.jpg

ai1001.photobucket.com_albums_af138_joegti10_1_15.jpg

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looks great!
    If your water parameters are good and your performing good husbandry (partials, filter maint/clean)..then I wouldn't be too concerned either...It's difficult to get healthy stock (especially with the livebearers) these days!

10. joegti10

Basically...all the fish that have died have come from one place, petco.

The LPS nearby (petland) sells hardy fish that survive, they might not have the selection that petco has but their fish are hardier.

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

fish and tank looks really good.