1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

55g Plant Recommendations Wanted

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

advice ??
    I cleaned out my 55 gallon tank yesterday and pulled out all of my plastic plants that I have had forever because I am tired of the same landscape in there. I was wondering what would be the best plant type for a beginner? I have 4 angels, 2 small tetras, a weather loach and a cory cat in the tank. I want something that will grow good, but not overrun the tank. Maybe something tall to show depth?? Also I thought about getting another fish or 2 and was debating between a few more angels or maybe a few schooling fish, what do you all think?

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: advice ??

Whats the lighting like on the tank? I would suggest a t5 fixture thats at least 2-3 watts per gallon. And then from there its all about what you like, and whats compatible with the water parameters. In my planted tank I use flourish and flourish excel once a week.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Lighting is flouresents I bought at the pets store, I have no idea wattage they are. What is a t5 fixture? I have seen that term several times on here but have no idea what it is. I have not checked parameters but they are normally very stable in that tank, the ph is on the low side and I haven't ever had problems with nitrates or anything when I have tested. I keep the temp about 78.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

T5 haave taken the place of T6 which replaces T8 which replace T12 small tube slimmer fixture brighter light you probally have t8 on your tank now.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

What is your PH, GH and KH. That matters a bit too.

6. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

get you some Val or swords and maybe some nubus nan they are the most foriving and low light plants

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with him. Java Fern and Java Moss are forgiving with low light too!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks, I am going to try to get to the pet store tommorrow and see what they have. My ph is on the low side in this tank, and I know that whenever I tested the other things they are always in the good parameters, but I can't tell you off the top of my head what the exact numbers are... midnight shift and 2 days of getting less than 4 hours of sleep has my brain fried...