1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

9-10" Catfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

No idea

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I wonder where he comes from. Has a channel cat type body but the fins are different. Really cool fish! I love Catfish! Keep us posted on the pics... I'm curious to see how fast he grows!!!

3. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I did a search for Pimelodus blochii on "another forum" and found the heated debate you were talking about lol Still no idea as to what he is? The one thing I've read is that most pim cats wont hybridize due to the fact that they are mostly still caught in the wild. They aren't like Synos that are bred in captivity and get mixed up as a result. This could be a completely new Pimelodus. At any rate, he's an absolutely beautiful cat. What does he seem to like to eat? When I had pictus cats they would go crazy over blood worms.

4. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Try some freeze dryed krill... I know the Redtail loved that...

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have been trying massivore delight and the sinking algae pellets the owner gave me when I got the fish and tank, and I havent really had any luck with either. I am going to put some blood worms in the tank and see what happens. I would hate to lose this guy to starvation.

jrow, I think that hes fully grown, if I had to guess an age I would say 6+ years old. But like I said earlier I have no idea, so he could grow to be even larger!

6. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Sounds like a picky fish. The Pictus cats would eat flakes as well, but loved the blood worms. I'm surprised it wont eat the massivore pellets. I did just remember something I read before I got the pictus cats. If he's anything like them, usually after any kind of changes in the tank, the best way to calm him down and get him to eat again are blood worms. It's the quickest way to acclimate them.

7. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I know with my Redtail it took a day or two to get him eating. Once he gets used to you he should be fine. I fed my redtail out of my hand... Try the krill... Its expensive but he really liked it. Too bad you dont live in Richmond. I have a ton of it left over.... My Pictus eats flakes most of the time. Occasionally I put some shrimp pellets in there for him. My cory likes those too... Your Cat's a little big for those but I think they make them bigger than the ones I have. Thats weird. My redtail ate pretty much everything I put in the tank. He was only 2 inches long when I got him though so i'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I hope you get him eating soon. Its a pretty fish!!!!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I imagine this guy is like pretty weirded out right now, for one thing theres not a 1" thick coat of algae over the entire tank and the water's prolly cleaner than its ever been for this guy. I think he's just getting used to his surroundings. I thought I bought bloodworms last night, but instead I bought f'in brine shrimp. I did see him swimming around at midlevel after I put the cube in there and turned off the light so maybe he was grabbing some of these minute bites.

Jamie, I will try the krill, I have been meaning to buy some but always forget. My festae and jag loved it when I had it.

9. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

You cant go wrong with it. My Pleco really likes it too! I also liked the fact that it didnt cloud the water like a lot of pellets and wafers do...

10. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

any luck with him eating yet?

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I havent seen him eat anything yet, but I also havent fed him in 24 hours either. I am going to try again tonight and see if he grabs anything.

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Hey Nelson, check out this link...

<a class="postlink" href="http://richmond.craigslist.org/pet/1008111992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://richmond.craigslist.org/pet/1008111992.html</a>

Looks kind of similar to yours... Fins look a little different but the color of the fish looks a little like yours...

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Saw that... It's not the same. I have one of those guys.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yeah thats a synodontis eureptus (sp) I have one thats around 8-9" myself. The body is brown with dark brown/black spots.

15. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Pretty fish!!!

16. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

yea, definitely not a Syn. eupterus lol I have one of those guys. He's only a couple of inches right now.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

be ready, he will grow fast! Just a warning, when they get big they get really territorial, I have mine with large aggressive cichlids and he pretty much goes where he wants and does what he wants without question.

Also, I got my cat to eat today, drum roll please........Bloodworms!! He/she actively went searching for more once he realize they were floating around in the tank.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

YAY...Congrats Man.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks buddy! I was very glad to see it happening.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

An aside, I dont know how long it usually takes for a "whisker" to grow back, but I have already noticed marked improvement on the one that looked damaged when I got it! It seems that water quality alone can be greatly beneficial.