1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 gallon Planted Community Tank with Eco-Complete

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Here you can see my 90 gallon planted tank, currently it is undergoing an algae bloom...a result of poor advice from my lfs.
    I'm still waiting for my 25 watt gama uv to come in the mail, hoping it will remedy this. Grr!

2. MOD_Dawn

Re: My 90 gallon planted

wow, i put a bit of algae fix in to hold the tank over until the uv arrives...and it's almost crystal clear (like the day I first started it). Man, that stuff really works! ;)

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

nice tank...i like those tiki faces out of stone and the black gravel.
    hope you fix the algea bloom soon.

4. MOD_Dawn

the tank is looking crystal clear...really shocked to heck and back that it cleared that fast..kinda scary!
    The substrate is actually eco-complete planted aquarium substrate...i got a good deal on it, plus I like the fact that you don't have to spend hours upon hours rinsing it...just toss it in and fill :D
    Life can't get much better than that!

5. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

almost willing to bet dimes to donuts that your green problem is too much light...
    how long is the PC light on per day?

6. MOD_Dawn

originally 12 hours, but cut back to 10.
    The guy at my lfs who's been at it for some 40+years told me I needed alot of light for the 90 being its deeper than a standard tank (ex. 20 or 55g).
    Plus with the plants told me I would need about 2 to 2+ watts per gallon to have it medium to fully planted ...that way it would cover just about any med to high light plant. The light itself is the coralife aqualight http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...ry=aqualight+freshwater&queryType=0&offset=20

7. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

cut it back to 8 hours of light it will be fine because the plants will also pull light from the light in the room.
    or get the UV deal like you said
    4x65 is 260
    90x2 is 180
    260-180 is 80
    this is the only place where too much isnt that good
    you could throw in some fast growing plants that will starve the algae out aswell

8. MOD_Dawn

I already ordered the 25watt gamma uv, it'll be here on the 2nd ;)
    And as for some fast growers, their already in there (2 bunches of wisteria, 2 bunches of this other that's reddish and has round leaves..can't remeber the name of them for the life of me, in addition to 2 bunches of corkscrew ital. val, 2 bunches of nanas, umm...2 big bunches of these crypts, a small bunch of teardrop growing on a rock, 3 bunches of this thick looking plant that appears like really thick blades of grass...i wanna say it was some sort of amazon, and then theres the 2/3 bundles of creeping charlies, and 1 of these small amazon? plants.
    :confused: Dear me, my memories got the best of me tonight...I can't remember all of their names...but I posted a photo of the tank where you can see some of the plants a few days earlier.
    :confused: Was my lfs wrong to suggest the light I purchased? I wanted to keep a variety of plants...including some of the reddish colored ones to give it some pop...and I was informed that they needed HIGH light...and the others I got moderate...and they told me that 2 & 1/2 watts would do it, but 3 would be ideal?
    Totally new to planted tanks, other than my old tank having a few potted ones that required squat

9. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

heh dont know about the info you got but i run a 65 tall and a 35 tall the 65 has two single tube strip lights off the shelf and it is 2 feet tall and the 30 has a double tube shelf light that i unscrewed one buld so it doesnt light up.
    65 has two 17 watt bulbs and the 35 has one 17 watt bulb and my plants grow and are full looking

10. MOD_Dawn

hmm, are they high light plants though? Or low lights?

11. MOD_Dawn

Here's a photo with the Turbo Twist uv up and running (exactly 19 hours after the uv was plugged in).
    I know you can't tell by the crappy pict, but my water is crystal clear now :D
    I used my Kodak m883...still figuring out best settings for taking picts of the fish (if anyone has this camera and has advice on the best settings...feel free to add you 10cents worth!).

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I can tell a difference. ;)

13. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

are you injecting co2? and is your tank on a continous 10hrs. i heard if you give it a off/on break up every two hours algae won't grow as easily, the plants can't tell, and you get to enjoy the tank more throughout the day.

14. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

very nice work with the uv.....i can tell the difference as well.

15. MOD_Dawn

nope, not co2 injecting. And now that I have the uv on I backed it up to the 10hours of light!
    Here's a pict of the tank today...what a difference ;)

16. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

bigtime!!!!

17. MOD_Dawn

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow, much better. I'm surprised it made that much of a difference.

19. MOD_Dawn

I was shocked to heck and back myself...I knew from what I had read from others that it would definately improve the issue I was having, but I didn't quite realize by how much. It's so clear now that you can't tell their in a glass aquarium. It looks like their just swimming in air :!:

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's great !