1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 gallon Planted Community Tank with Eco-Complete

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

Re: My 90 gallon planted

you should consider adding some co2, your ludwigia repens will benefit nicely from it. and take a look at ferts from seachem line, i do believe their product excel is a co2 supplement.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

I have the flourish excel, flourish iron, and flourish...I only add them when it looks like they need a bit of something. I don't want to get into the expense of co2..and in case you didn't see the picts of the tank...theirs absolutely NO room for any other equipment :( I think I took every extra square inch in my home already for one pet or another. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mod_Dawn Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:18 pm Here's some pictures from today (10-3-08) of the 90g and its inhabitants.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wee-Bay posted Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 pm
    Tank is looking good!
    caronsd posted Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:46 pm That dolphin fish is awesome! Where did you get that?
    Mod_Dawn posted : Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:02 pm
    Elmers Aquarium in Monroeville,PA

10-3-08%20Black%20Skirt%20Tetras%20-%20Copy.jpg 10-3-08%20Dolphin%20fish%20-%20Copy.jpg 10-3-08%2090g%20planted%20-%20Copy.jpg 10-3-08%20Serpae%20Tetras%20-%20Copy.jpg 10-3-08%20Bristlenose%20Plecos%20-%20Copy.jpg 10-3-08%20Neon%20Tetras%20-%20Copy.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

Here's a repost of the plant & fish photos.

Mystery Snail Babies - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Ivory & Golden Mystery Snail Babies - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Bamboo shrimp & Albino Corydoras - Copy.jpg Baby Bristlenose Pleco - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Serpae Tetra - Copy.jpg Blue Gouramis - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Blue Gourami & Wisteria - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Serpae Tetra & Wisteria - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Platinum Gourami & Creeping Charlie - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Creeping Charlie - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Long Wispy Italian Vallisneria - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Pygmy Chain Swords - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Crypt Wendtii - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Ludwigia repens - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Moss Ball gone wild! - Copy.jpg 10-20-08 Moss Ball, Java Fern, Wisteria - Copy.jpg

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Wow, looking at the pictures on page one compared to your new ones it looks like your plants are really thriving! Very pretty! I like your shrimp, he is really neat. I haven't seen anything like that in stores around here. Does he require any special care?

5. MOD_Dawn

Thank you for the compliments, the plants are doing very well amazingly. I was scared at first since workers at my lfs warned me plants were alot of work and most too difficult to keep. If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with the high lighting, eco-complete substrate followed by nutrafin plant spikes, and the u.v. sterilizer? I really don't add any chemicals unless things aren't looking right & when AND IF I do..it's ususally some Flourish or Flourish Excel.

I'm really new to the whole planted tank thing (before this the most I did with plants would be one pre-potted plant dropped in the tank..no chemicals, no attention to lighting, no research, just a impulse buy sadly enough).

As far as the bamboo shrimp, I got him on sale at my local petco for $3.99 (their normally $10.99 & up). He changes from a brown (seen in picture) to a reddish color. Care for him is nothing special, he's a filter feeder. I normally spot him hanging out in the cave that is hidden behind the wisteria and just beneath the moss ball and java fern which are attached to knotted out ?soft pine decor (which is screwed to the top of the cave) that was purchased at my lfs. If that makes any sense at all.
    I also can spot him on a hikari algae wafer at times, but I assume that most of his food source comes from the excess of fish food that is fed to the rest of the community (ie. flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, hikari algae tabs, french cut green beans, live brine, etc).
    Definately a nice addition, molts his entire skin & looks like a duplicate...if someone doesn't know any better they would think that the molt is the shrimp..DEAD. When my 9 year old nephew comes over he loves trying to "find" the shrimp. Lol!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Very cool! I will have to keep my eyes open for one. My kids would love it.

7. MOD_Dawn

They can be found under any of these names:
    Asian Filter Shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp, Wood Shrimp, Fan Shrimp
    Here's a link for more information and how to tell the difference between the males and females >>> http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you! I will definetely be checking them out.

9. MOD_Dawn

Okay, so during my tank maint. (weekly water changes now, thanks for the info. guys/gals) I decided to trim back my plants and rearrange some things.

This was me--> :eek: when I truly realized how many ivory and golden mystery snail babies their truly was! I also came to find out that my bloodfin tetras must have spawned at some point, because I came across 2 that were quite smaller than the ones I had purchased just a while back. My black skirt tetras are also trying to join the spawnfest, 2 days ago I witnessed the male "shuttering" around what obviously had to be two females. Yep, love is in the air...I mean water :)

Being bored, I decided to snap a few shots of the tank--though their not the best... I thought I'd show others how disappointing the Lunar Links truly are since I finally found a setting on the Kodak m883 which allowed me to take pictures of them being on (don't ask which setting is was, I can't remember...I tried sooo many. LOL!).
    Here is a link to the Lunar Lights that I have on my aquarium, which in my personal opinion are DEFINATELY disappointing! http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=42901650

11-5-08 Left of 90g under lunar links - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Middle of 90g under lunar links - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Right of 90g under lunar links - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Left of 90g - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Middle of 90g - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Right of 90g - Copy.jpg

10. MOD_Dawn

I'll try to get some picts of the re-scape during the day when I get a chance. To me, after the replant and rearrangement of things it feels more open on the bottom-giving the plants more space to spread out, and by my earlier pictures I'm sure you can tell the chain swords definately needed it. I know the shrimp (bamboo & cherry's) are definately happy that I took a section of plants (wisteria, replens, and massive moss ball) and placed them against the glass on the right for ample hiding space/easier acess to food :)
    Truly beautiful how red the cherry shrimp get! I see many babies within the wisteria and am wondering when they will turn red like the parents? To me, the babies are appearing more whitish like a ghost shrimp? Any info. on them would be appreciated--as this is the first time in keeping them.
    ~Thanks!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those lights are pretty dim compared to the single light I have on my tank.

As far as the cherry shrimp go. When I purchased mine they were about 1/4"-1/3" and were already red.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Awesome shots!

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Nice tank.... I am working my way to healthy plants like those.... have a ways to go as I dont have a green thumb :eek:

Great Job!

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Your plants look very good. i cant wait until i finish setting up my 30 gal to get some better plant going.

15. MOD_Dawn

Hmm, on the cherry shrimp...when I received mine they weren't red and they were soo small you could barely make them out (but I remember reading a link somewhere that said initially they weren't, and something about if their requirements aren't met..they won't turn red)....but after about a week they turned VERY bright red. Either way I can't really complain...they were only a $1.00 a piece and that included the shipping :)

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

you got a good deal on those. I have been wanting some shrimp but am still waiting for my bigger tank to be set up.

17. MOD_Dawn

Let me know if you need some, I think I have the guys contact information yet...he also deals in bristlenose plecos>>I think I paid him $3.00 each for the babies.

18. MOD_Dawn

:D Here's those day time pictures I promised :D

11-5-08 Ivory Mystery Snails - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Golden Mystery Snail - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Fancy Male Guppy & Serpae Tetras - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Platinum Gourami - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Giant Danios & Black Skirt Tetras - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Black Neon Tetra - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Bronze Corydoras & Ivory Mystery Snail - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Bristlenose Pleco - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Right corner of 90g after re-scape - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Center of 90g after re-scape - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 Left side of 90g after re-scape - Copy.jpg 11-5-08 90g after re-scape - Copy.jpg

19. Leslie

Leslie New Member

hey what type of moss is that you have?

20. MOD_Dawn

that was java moss I bought at petco sold on these balloon thingeys. You can find them also on ebay I think under balloon moss for something like $6 plus shipping. Its attached to some round type floating ball thing that has fishing string coming out of it that is attached to a sinker (looks like a fishing sinker).
    When I had it the stuff grew amazingly fast and I liked it because it was easy to move where-ever I wanted since it was weighted.