1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 gallon Planted Community Tank with Eco-Complete

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: My 90 gallon planted

Nice! Looks much better.... no wonder you are still searching for plants... the background is still a bit bare.... I can see that Java Moss wall :)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How tall is this tank ? 48" ?

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

48.5W /18.5D /25H
    And that was the tank BEFORE the husband did me the favor of "cleaning" my plants when I was battling the spot algae.
    :( It looks totally different now.

4. MOD_Dawn

Ps. the moss shown in the tank was Moss Balloons, they took off like a bat out of Heck.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You need to take some new pictures then. :D

LoL I can't believe I said 48" tall. I just woke up (not felling well today). I meant 24".

6. MOD_Dawn

Lol, it's okay..I knew what you meant. I hear ya on the not feeling well!
    Remind me tomorrow and I'll try to get some picts...their lights are about to go off and I just added a bunch of plants and want to give the tank time to settle (and for me to decide if I like where they are in the morning..Lol).

7. MOD_Dawn

Here's the new photos of the re-plant.

Please keep in mind some plants are as new as being bought yesterday and are still adjusting.

Several NEW fish additions have occured, mainly in the tetra family!

-> I still think it's missing something, but then again I like to change things up regularly :)

:geek: Feel free to critique and suggest as always!
    Enjoy! :D

Tank Basics & a bit beyond (The boring stuff):
    -90 gallon all glass aquarium measuring 48.5"Wx18.5"Dx25"L
    -Glass Canopy on top
    -Above that is a 260 watt compact fluorescent fixture housing FOUR 65w bulbs and one Lunar strip currently being set on an 11 hour cycle via timer for bulbs
    while Lunar strip is on a seperate timer coming on 15 minutes before the bulbs go out and shutting off 30 minutes prior to the bulbs coming back on....
    the two bulbs in front are 6700K Coralife bulbs; two in the back are 50/50 (10,000K/620nm actinic) Coralife bulbs
    -Stand is a run of the mill fish tank stand that I bought From Petsmart for about $120.00
    -Substrate is Eco-Complete Planted @ aprox. 3"-3+" depth
    -Heat is provided by a 300w Rena Smart Heater and monitored via 2 digital stick on thermometers(found to be crap) & 1 Tom Oscar Digital Temperature Alert
    -Filtration/Circulation is achieved by :
    a)1 Rena Filstar XP4 (layered with from bottom to top>>20ppi Rena Filstar foam, 30ppi Rena Filstar foam, 1/2 Rena Filstar Bio-Chem Stars & 1/2 Eheim ceramic rings, and on the very top Rena Filstar Micro-Filtration +)
    At times I will swap out the Micro-filtration + with Filter Floss
    b)Emperor 400 (two rite size E cartridges & the extra 2 plastic snap trays are filled with eheim cocoa puff balls)
    c)Additional Emperor 400 is currently under repair but was running (2 plastic snap trays filled with eheim cocoa puff balls, and 2 seachem "The Bag"'s filled with Seachem Phospate Reducer
    d)Plastic 5-in-1 breeder currently floating Purigen bag
    e)Air stone is left on regularly (yes, I know it probably should only be left on at night with a timer..but my strip and then some is completely full) and runs via Rena Air 400 pump
    -Coralife Turbo-Twist 12x 36w UV Sterilizer ran 24/7 (tapped into the Xp4)
    -Dechlorinator (baddy remover) Prime (any time water is added, even if it's top off)
    -Partials are done weekly on Fridays via No Spill Clean N' Fill Python Water Change System
    -Chemicals (these are only added when AND only IF I feel the plants are lacking)...Seachem Flourish, Seachem Flourish Excel, Seachem Iron
    *Note I have placed a few sporadic Hagen Nutrafin Plant Gro Fertilizer Sticks

2-25-09 Wood Shrimp after just shedding exo.jpg 2-25-09 Very Pregnant Female Guppies.jpg 2-25-09 Guppies.jpg 2-25-09 Gorgeous Yellow Male Guppy.jpg 2-25-09 Fire Orange Male Guppy & Tetras.jpg 2-25-09 Golden Red Cloud, guppies, etc.jpg 2-25-09 Rummy Nose Tetra (not the best shot).jpg 2-25-09 Black Skirt Tetras with Nice Finnage.jpg 2-25-09 Platinum Gourami.jpg 2-25-09 Bristlenose going back to his log.jpg 2-25-09 Male Bristlenose Pleco.jpg 2-25-09 Comparison of Chinese Algae(above) to Simaese Algae fish(below).jpg 2-25-09 some inhabitants of the 90g.jpg 2-25-09 Right side of tank(p.Hippo & Nasea).jpg 2-25-09 Right side of 90g re-planted.jpg 2-25-09 Purple Cabomba.jpg 2-25-09 Center of 90g re-planted.jpg 2-25-09 Microsword Grass.jpg 2-25-09 Left corner of 90g re-plant.jpg 2-25-09 Left side of 90g replanted.jpg 2-25-09 Shot of entire 90g re-planted.jpg

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Still looks nice, you just need some tall plants for the back.

9. MOD_Dawn

I know, I just pruned the p. cabomba.
    Hoping for a miracle and that the Peruensis (red one on the right) will grow to max height of 21" Lol!
    I know, I'm a dreamer. Just bought it yesterday and if it does well I plan on getting another one.
    If not, what TALL growers would you recommend (moderate light) to fill in that right side? Or should I just start transfering the P. Cabomba over to the other side and use it all across the back?
    Decisions...Decisions..Ugh!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's not a Golden White Cloud in picture 16 is it ?

What about some large sword plants like I have ?

11. MOD_Dawn

Yea? I just got a few yesterday at the lfs. I think I marked it red golden. Lol.
    I'd love to do swords, but my experience with them is that they overshadow the other plants and kill them by hogging all the light.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They're the fish I want to get for my 20 gallon. How dare you. :)

Oh okay, guess swords are out then. I'm not really up on my plants so my suggestions are limited. What about Corkscrew Vals, or something similar ?

13. MOD_Dawn

I have them in front of the vase...for some reason they don't do well? They get thinned even when I didn't have the sae's.
    Sorry about the clouds. They were on sale...I think 3 for $5.80

14. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

It appears you have hygrophilia polypermsa in your tank, and if thats being the case i would crop it in half and replant those pieces, it grows fast and tall

15. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I love all your plants. and as i was looking i had a 2 yr old screaming "look the fish can swim. look they swim!! look mommy!!" lol. i didnt see your java moss.

16. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I like the pictures! :) Like anthony said I'd really love to see your back completely invinsible because of a wall off plants :)

17. MOD_Dawn

Me too guido, the moss is on the left side wall (very top of the tank).

18. MOD_Dawn

No, that's not what they are..I know what the h. poly's look like...this is definately NOT that. Whatever it is it grows super fast. You can easily replant clippings for more of it. And the bottom leaves suffer from the upper ones so I assume it does better in short stalks if that makes any sense.

19. MOD_Dawn

That will be happening VERY soon with the P. cabomba.
    I'm just leary of allowing it to grow past the spray bar because of fear that it will shadow the plants in front..in essence basically killing them from robbing them of light.

20. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

That would suck yeah. But post the pictures when they reach the limit it would be awesome!