1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 gallon Planted Community Tank with Eco-Complete

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: My 90 gallon planted

It is looking fuller :D

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

TWO bags of it, says Each 500 mL of de*nitrate™ treats about 100–200 L (25–50 gallons*), depending on initial nitrate concentration and the current biological load. Enough should be used to remove nitrate at a rate at least as fast as the rate of formation. If very high nitrates are initially present, they should be brought down to less than 20 mg/L with water changes.

I used 1 Liter treating the tank as if it were 50-100 gallons* believing with the emperor 400 and Rena Filstar XP4 it should be about the 100g.

It was soo much I had to split it into two Seachem "The Bag"'s.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Maybe you'll be able to remove them soon.

4. MOD_Dawn

I think so, but I plan on leaving them be since they aren't bothering me (used to them in there now)..that and the wood shrimp loves climbing on the bags at night (it's his NEW hangout). Lol!

I'll still be testing regularly to keep an eye on it.

5. Leslie

Leslie New Member

hey dawn hows the moneyworth doing??

6. drazzill

drazzill New Member

so what does the tank look like today

7. drazzill

drazzill New Member

nvm, i c the pics from 3/13 lol

8. MOD_Dawn

I moved them by the cichlid dome cave to receive more light. They (to me) look about the same as they arrived. I would think they should be showing growth by next week thinking shock/stress. If not I'll place a plant spike in close proximity to them to give 'em a kick in the pants!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hey dawn, just seen your tank piccies, look realy nice and organised, unlike mine, im sure i'll get there with your guys help. you got a nice vararity of plants and looks spot on, you still not using co2 (sorry didnt get to throughly read all pages).

10. MOD_Dawn

Using flourish excel (liquid bottled co2- lol).

I just tested the tank today and all is much better! Took the de*nitrate out earlier and according to my readings it isn't needed (however, I have it recharging and will always have it on standby)!

Readings as of 3-23-09
    ph 6.0 (probably even lower, but I'm not mucking with it right now since the inhabitants are used to it being this low)

Kh 2degrees

Gh 8Ddegrees

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Iron 0 -->ironically I dosed with Flourish Iron the other day?....But I redosed tonight with 3 capfuls of Flourish Iron for extra good measure.

Phosphate 1.0 (api says it should be 0, but at only 1.0 I'm sure the plants will use it up)

co2 (not exactly sure on the redsea test) but even if it's halfway accurate should be 32mg/l (read where anywhere between 10 & 40 is fine)

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Still looking great dawn :)

12. MOD_Dawn

Thanks Guido, I think I'm finally at the "pay off" point with it.

Last night I plucked a ton of the ivory mystery snails as I was becomming over run with them and removed the vals since they were excel sensitive (may have to do the same with the broze wendtii--still waiting it out on them). I re-arranged the plants/prunings since I'm quickly becomming overrun :)

:confused: I re-tested the iron and the kits reading o (RedSea iron liquid test) again, I'm thinking the kits a dud..but I added another 3 capfuls of flourish iron and will re-test tomorrow.

-> To date the giant danios, platinum and blue gouramis, a descent bit of guppies, nusiance snails and red-eyed tetras have been removed in preps for some newbies that should arrive tomorrow or the next day!
    If all arrive well this is what will be going in:
    Qty Item
    2 Monty Swords
    2 Limia Tiger
    3 Ameca Splendens
    3 Endler's Pairs
    10 Cherry shrimp
    2 Probably Female Bristlenose
    and a handful of mts

Ps. Most of the fish I never heard of but the guy I deal in assures they are community safe. If anyone has any info on them (besides the shrimp, mts, and bristlenose plecos) feel free to advise on them!

13. MOD_Dawn

Update! Just before the lights automatically turned off I discovered a lone Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby...I am super stoked!
    I know their must be more somewhere in that jungle of a tank too. :)

He was in the corner cruising along the seam of the tank. I scooped him with a brine net and placed him in the breeder and tossed a french cut green bean in there for him/her---and in thinking theres more in hiding tossed a few frenchies in the tank for the others.

Talk about unexpected suprises. I also have tons of guppy fry (but that's a pretty much every day thing in there).
    100_0016.jpg 100_0024.jpg

14. drazzill

drazzill New Member

gratz on the baby BN's, i just received 4.4 A. cacatuoides double reds and a single snoball pleco, was suppose to get 6 but the guy only had one left [banghead]

15. MOD_Dawn

[rofl] I had to google the cacatuoides, they are a gorgeous fish I must say.
    I also like the look of snowball plecos, but a bit too rich (pricy) for me. (Bristles only get about 4" and are "peaceful" so that enables me to keep quite a few of them).

Thanks for the congrats. I am defiantely a proud grammy! Lol!

16. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Baby pleco's! :) They make you think thé'll fit in any tank :eek:

17. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Congrats on the Bristle Nose! That must make you feel wonderful! :D

18. MOD_Dawn

yup. I am soo proud! (passes out pink and blue bubblegum cigars)

19. Leslie

Leslie New Member

hey dawn, is the moneyworth gowing any? mine is starting to grow over the water line.

20. MOD_Dawn

just a tiny bit if that? But they are throwing roots from the stalk below the 1st nodes (just as of today)...and to boot I moved them towards the center in a open area to really suck up the lighting.

<-1st time I had them