1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 Gallon Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Feb 26, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Today I went to Uncle Ned's and ordered a 90 gallon pre-drilled tank. I payed for that and it will be there Wednesday. I also bought the stand and the glass top for it as well and brought those home today. I also ordered the lighting from Dr. Fosters and smith are those are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll keep updating as things progress with the tank in this post.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sounds exciting ! [dancing]

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Cant wait to see it ;)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did mine the same way..step by step so I could get the good stuff the first time around. <--anxious to see photos!

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

We all love to see photo's dont we :)

6. NoctuVide

hehe When I get the tank on Wednesday I'll shoot some photos of what it looks like so far and as I get the mechanics for it i'll post photos of them as well. I got my lighting today. It's the 216 watt version of the Nova Extreme SLR system that Anthony suggested I get (thanks again! :D) I figure as the tank gets more established and want to try some harder corals, I'll buy a couple MH pendants to put along side the Nova. I also got the current moonlight link I ordered to connect to the main current moonlight (still waiting on that to show up).

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Cant wait! Good luck :)

8. NoctuVide

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what I use. ;)

10. NoctuVide

I can't wait to see how they look on the tank

11. luckylouse

luckylouse New Member

I bought the same type of fixture, but a Sunlight supply TEK with ATI bulbs, I think I need to supplement with LED's to get the shimmer that you get with with Metal Halides. That the only draw back from T5s. If it wasn't the the huge hydro bill I'd go with HM and T5 combo. I think LED's should give it the touch I need. We'll see.

Nice light nevertheless!!!

12. NoctuVide

Not only do MHs give you the shimmer but greatly increase your watts per gallon. Eventually when I decide to try some of the harder to keep coral that require more light I'm going to get one or two mh pendants to add more light along with the t5s

13. luckylouse

luckylouse New Member

I hear ya. I got a sweet deal on m light. I was going to go with the Aquatic Life System which used 2 HID light along with T5 for actinity and LED for Moon light but it was a little pricy. I bought a Bubble king Skimmer so I could buy that light. I got a sweet deal on a TEK T5 set-up. The seller thought a balast was burnt out so I got it for a deal. $100 with light timers and stanchions. It cost me $10 to fix it . It was a loose connector.

T5's are good the hydro consumption.... and the Germans do it very well. My suggestion is to spend the extra cash and get good T5's with German reflectors and German bulbs. The reason I say that is because the Germans pay huge bucks for hydro and all they use are T5's and LEDs. They use technology to get the most out of them. Acroporas are being raised as we speak on T5's alone.
    My LFS is experimenting with LED's too. He has a dozen Australian Acans under LED's for 16hours per day. He is using only 20 watts of light for a 36 gallon tank and they are doing awesome. i wouldn't go LEDs 100% but I'm going to supplement my T5s with LED and see what happens.
    I can wait for March 26th!!!!!!!

14. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

you could've went with the 8x54 watt nova extreme.....with this fixture you would've been able to keep sps, lps and softies with no problem in a 90 gallon tank......it would've gave you 432watts / 4.3 watts per gallon which would give you the min. to keep sps on the upper part of your tank........either way good luck with everything.

15. NoctuVide

yea, but like I said, once my tank is established and I want to try my hand at harder to keep coral, I'll probably either buy a new system or a couple of MH pendants to set next to the T5 system. I'll figure that out when I get to that point. I do have a question though. I want to set up the lighting I have so that the Actinic blue lights come on before the 10000k's, then the 10000K's go out before the blues, and then the moon lights go on after the blues go out, kind of simulate a sun up, full sun, sunset, then night type of thing. These are 3 separate plugs. I was thinking of going with some sort of timer power strip, but it looks like all these are setup so that only the day plugs or the night plugs can be on at one time. Would I have to buy an individual timer for each plug or do they make something that I can control all three lights at the same time?

16. NoctuVide

Finally got the tank today! [dancing] This thing is going to be so awesome when it's all setup! :D Here's a pic of it on the stand with the light on.
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56753#p56753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56753#p56753</a>

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice, a built in overflow. :D

18. NoctuVide

mmhmm :D while I was there to order it, ned showed my the difference between pre-drilled sump ready tanks and a HOB sump overflow box thing, and I definitely liked the pre-drilled much more

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, if you're going to do a sump pre-drilled is the way to go.

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Great tank! You made a GREAT choice going with the overflow built in... GREAT way to spend the extra $100-150!